How Integrate PC 20 feet from TV?

Want to put a media center in the family room, and a keyboard and PC monitor about 15-20 feet away. Is there technology that can enable me to put the computer at either location and have the display shown on the TV at the same time as the PC monitor. Most of the time I would just use the PC without the TV.

I assume the PC Monitor would be a DVI or VGA connection, can one cable be run longer?

The connection to the TV is undecided since I have not purchased one as of yet, what type of connector would be best (HMI?). Is this possible what I want to do?

Thanks!

Reply to
Al Franz
Loading thread data ...

X-10 sells a kit consisting of an RF transmitter which connects between your video card and VGA monitor plus an RF receiver which you hook to your TV set. It's supposed to replicate your PC screen on the TV. I have no idea how well it works. See:

formatting link
They have a sale:
formatting link
There are two models, one for VGA, the other for a video card with TV out. The picture for the sale item seems to match the VGA model but it's nowhere stated. I'd call and inquire about this if interested.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

possible what I

between

I've used the X-10 RF transmitter and I found it was unreliable and poor quality.

I recommend at least S-video connection to the TV or better. Most TV's don't support the resolutions of PC monitors, so that may be your limiting factor.

I use a vidio card that supports 2 monitors, and there are many to choose from, and I use a S-video connection that is 20 feet long. It works good.

If your TV supports a higher level signal (VGA, DVI, HDMI) than I would use that.

- Duane

Reply to
Duane

The cheapest way is to use a free PVR software from GBPVR and a Hauppauge MediaMVP. This would be a powerful sys with its own remote control.

GBPVR runs really well on lower power machines and is free. The MediaMVP has a remote, is well supported by the program and is Want to put a media center in the family room, and a keyboard and PC monitor

Reply to
echo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.