Qwest DSL and Windows Live connection problems

Greetings,

My family recently signed up for Qwest DSL, and we got an ActionTech GT701 to act as our modem. The problem is, my family uses a wireless router, and apparently the modem that Qwest gave us has a router in it as well (for whatever reason), so they've been conflicting, and I've been doing battle with it for the last 2 days. I finally got it so that the IP's aren't conflicting by assigning the wireless router a different IP address, but now Windows Live Mail and Messenger aren't working. I've run the troubleshooter on Windows Live messenger, and I got a yellow sign next to Key Ports (while everything else checked out fine). I tried repairing it, and it turned to a green check mark, but when I tried to sign in, it gave me the same error.

Does anyone know what's going on and what I can do to fix it? Will putting the modem in transparent bridge mode solve this problem? I've heard that bridge mode can only be used in certain areas, so it won't work for everyone; is that true?

Thanks,

Reuben

Reply to
Greywolfexcel
Loading thread data ...

The easiest fix for you is ti ask Qwest to set the modem/router to operate in bridged mode. The takes it out of the picture but you'll have to have your router do the PPPoE login.

Reply to
DLR

That worked great! Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
Greywolfexcel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.