XP SP2 Computer on wireless network loses permissions to share files and folders

I have a computer with XP SP2 that loses the sharing almost every time that an update is received from Microsoft. It is networked with a Vista Home Premium 64 computer that is hard wired to the router. The Vista machine has no problems but the XP machine loses the permissions in the sharing when updates are installed.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Bogey Man
Loading thread data ...

Is there any particular reason the XP box isn't running Service Pack

3?

Also, what protocols are you running on each box, _just_ TCP/IP, or what?

berk

Reply to
berk

My mistake, latest service pack and all updates since are installed.

Installed protocols on the XP SP3 machine are: TCP/IP Client for Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks QOS Packet Scheduler Pure Networks Device Discovery Driver Pure Networks Wireless Driver

Ron

Reply to
Bogey Man

Ron, I want to clear up my own confusion; could you describe 'looses the sharing' i another way?

Do you mean the system has 'file sharing' enabled but the share is lost during updates? Or do you mean something else altogether?

Maybe you mean you are using a box (NAT Router) to 'share' the network connection and _this_ is what is lost during updates.

berk

Reply to
berk

The sharing of folders on the XP machine are still shown as shared but the permissions associated with the sharing of these folders has been unchecked on the sharing setup. This has the result that the folders can be seen by the remote computer but nothing can be sent to the folders or copied from them. When the permissions box is checked on each of the folders on the XP machine, transfer of files both ways is possible.

Interestingly, when the sharing does not allow the remote computer to send or receive files from the XP machine, that XP machine can send and receive files from the shared folders on the Vista Home Premium 64 machine.

The connection is fine. Just the permissions associated with sharing are lost on the XP machine.

Reply to
Bogey Man

odd, thats the opposite of mine, all my xp/linux/etc file shares stay in place, EXCEPT for vista losing it/them every time for updates and restarts... wonder how you keep vista from losing them... i'll trade ya! :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

I've never had a problem sharing from the Vista computer but the XP computer is another story. When I had 2 XP machines it seemed like they took turns making life "interesting

Reply to
Bogey Man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.