WRT54G v8 AP Isolation

Hey All

I just bought a brand spanking new WRT54G to add to our Church network to offer wireless internet. However when I turn AP Isolation on, I can still connect to other devices on the network wirelessly.

This is the current setup:

192.168.1.1 - Main router, Open wireless, AP on 192.168.1.2 - Printer, Static IP, plugged into 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 - Secured wireless, plugged into 192.168.1.1, AP off 192.168.1.4 - Secured wireless, plugged into 192.168.1.3 AP off

The key points are:

- Anyone on the secured wireless needs access to the printer and other computers

- Anyone on the open wireless can only access the internet.

- I'm not sure if I change the Printer IP that I'd be able to get it to work again on all the PCs. So I've kept it this way.

I don't know if the AP Isolation just isn't working, or if I'm forgetting something? I would have thought enabling it would be enough, but maybe something more advanced is needed?

Reply to
LindenSoftware
Loading thread data ...

"LindenSoftware" hath wroth:

It's working, but doesn't do what you want. "AP Isolation" is a lousy term and doesn't really describe what it does. It should be called "wireless client isolation". It *ONLY* isolates wireless clients from each other. It does NOT isolate wireless clients from wired clients, or wired clients from each other.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.