WRT54G to WRT54G to WAP54G Failure

I am working on a WiFi network for a RV park. The office is on the corner of the property and I need to wirelessly link to the center to get better coverage. So far I have not been able to establish the link from the office to the centered access point. I have tested with a Palm Tungsten C. I can get internet access on router #2 and receive an IP address. From there I can browse the web but when I move to near the access point I cannot get an IP address. I am wondering if this could be a failure with my Palm Tungsten C or with the configuration. (I do not have a laptop to use.)

The equipment setup now:

1) Directway internet modem wired to a Linksys WRT54G router (#1) with Satori latest firmware flashed. 2) From the #1 WRT54G router I am wired to a second WRT54G (#2)router with the same firmware. This is to get me up on the roof for line of sight purposes. Many travel trailers are aluminum and this degrades the signal quickly. According to the Linksys knowledge base article on connecting 2 WRT54G routers, when I do this I should wire into port 4 on the second WRT54G which I have done. Each router has a different IP address and I can access the setup areas for each router at the same time. 3) From the #2 router I want to link wireless to a WAP54G access point at the center of the park. I have Freya firmware flashed in the WAP54G. If I wire the access point into router #1 I have no problem getting an IP address with the Palm T|C. I have not tried wiring the access point into router #2.

Line of sight is okay but there are many trees. Checking for a signal with the Palm T|C, I get a signal at each location for the corresponding router #2 and the WAP54G. WEP is off until I get this working.

My configuration: Router #1--DHCP on, wireless power is at 0. Router #2--DHCP off, no WDS programmed. All of the Advanced Wireless settings are the Satori defaults. Power is set at 60 mW. Access Point--The AP mode is set Wireless Repeater. I have entered router #2's wireless MAC address into the required field. Power is set at 60mW.

There may be other information needed but these are the settings I have worked with.

What is wrong with this setup?

Rick Ankrum

Reply to
Rick Ankrum
Loading thread data ...

Yes, in the same room and got the same results.

Reply to
Rick Ankrum

Maybe it's obvious, but have you tested your setup before placing the APs so far?

Ciao.

Reply to
meATprivacyDOTnet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.