WPA TKIP and different routers

I recently changed both router and cable modem. I would like swap back to the old router to t/s whether recent (since these changes) network instability is the router, or the cable modem.

Both routers support WPA-PSA TKIP. Both use the same Network key and SSID. However, when I switch between them, I have to reinstall the wireless card driver on my desktop computer, and our PS3 needs to have the key re-entered by hand (arduous process). My son's PSP just won't go online at all since the switch.

The desktop may just have a flaky wireless card. But, I don't see why the PS3 and PSP would also take exception to the network settings. I would expect (since no network info has changed and they're set to use DHCP) that they would get online easily.

Is there a way to switch from router to router invisibly, without the networking computers noticing there's been a change?

Gwen

-- Gwen Morse mailto: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." -- Matt Groening

Reply to
Gwen Morse
Loading thread data ...

No. All 802.11 wireless networking is based on MAC addresses, not IP addresses. You can make the IP addresses the same between the two routers, but you can't change the MAC addresses on the wireless interface.

Your various clients connect to the wireless access points using the MAC address, which by necessity will be different, thus necessitating a new connection. The reason you're having problems is that most wireless client software isn't particularly smart about juggling two wireless access points, both with identical settings, except for the MAC address. The PC probably has a "profile" or "saved setting" for the previous connection setup. Delete it, and recreate it every time you swap routers. That should work. Same with the PS3.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.