Who is connecting?

Hi all,

I have a LinkSys Wireless-G Cable Gateway. I run it unsecured so that my neighbors in post-Katrina New Orleans can share the connection. However I think some of these folks are hogging the pipe. I have seen the Mexican visitors across the way watching the World Cup or news from back home on their laptop and they may be using my line, or not.

Anyway, I would like to see how many boxes are connecting and what their bandwidth usage is. The router config does not offer this (at least not graphically).

Anyone got a third party app (maybe a log analysis app) to recommend?

TIA

jg

Reply to
jerrygarciuh
Loading thread data ...

Wallwatcher -- free

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"jerrygarciuh" hath wroth:

What happened to the free municipal wireless for New Orleans? Did Earthlink deliver as promised?

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

That's almost a certainty. If it's not peer to peer file sharing, it's a worm infected machine. If you're running an open system, you still need some form of bandwidth management to prevent one user from hogging all the bandwidth.

Sigh. Easy to find out. Right in the middle of a World Cup match, when the tension is at maximum, pull the plug on your wireless router. If you hear yelling and screaming from the Mexican visitors, they're using your wireless connection.

Sure. I use Log Viewer

formatting link
problem is that I'm not sure if your Linksys Wireless-G cable gateway box is supported because I don't know the model number. Is it a Linksys WCG-200 v2 or something else? If so, it's not supported. Bummer.

There's also:

formatting link
(free)
formatting link
(free)
formatting link
($50)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I dunno about that advice. Given how rabid some soccer fans can be that might be taking an awful lot of risk!

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"Bill Kearney" hath wroth:

No problem. Just point the barbeque dish antenna at the angry onrushing horde of soccer fans. Yell "Back off or I'll sterilize you". That should stop them in their tracks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Funny, but I'm not seeing in that in my handy english/spanish phrasebook...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Babelfish thinks it's: "Retroceda o le esterilizaré."

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for all of that information!! Checking the apps links now.

jg

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
jerrygarciuh

Yeah well try this on BabelFish: ask for the spanish for vegetables and then take what it gives you and translate the spanish to ingles.

I have c> > > No problem. Just point the barbeque dish antenna at the angry

Reply to
jerrygarciuh

Thanks Duane!

jg

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
jerrygarciuh

Is it not an option to secure the network and allow your neighbours connect my MAC address os something similar. I don't have any software suggestions additional to anything else posted.

Cheers, Peter

Reply to
Howaret Ings

Running DNS Redirector on a local workstation (and setting it as the DNS server handed out by DHCP) will not only allow you to see how many IPs (laptops/desktops) are connected, but what sites they are visiting.

You could also choose to block certain sites that are taking up bandwidth (like the streaming TV sites) or block banner/advertisements that make browsing slower for everybody.

formatting link

Reply to
JPElectron

How about "¡Vamos o adiós a los cojones!"

Reply to
Robert Coe

What happens when you switch off :-) If their picture vanishes you know who.

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.