wep problems

I have it working!

You were right, Jeff, about the router being signifigant.

The problem spread to my other laptop, also a dell, so I imagine it was precipitated by a windows update, though I can't be sure. If this is the case, there seems to have been a delay of a few days (a couple reboots? a few cycles of signing on or off? a cached setting somewhere expiring?) between the windows update and the problem starting. If there is a similar delay after reversing the cause of the problem, that would explain why system restore didn't seem to have helped.

I was able to connect, with WEP, to the router from either laptop when running mepis linux from a livecd, but from neither when running windows, so the software on the laptop was a factor.

But, just to try it, I updated the firmware on the router. Problem solved. Looking through the bugfixes listed with the update, I saw one for compatablity problems with centrino systems. Neither of our laptops are centrino, but there must have been a compatablitly problem exposed by the update to the laptop software, and fixed by the update.

Here are the details:

Dell Inpiron 5160 XP2 Windows Zero Config Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Dell Inspiron 5100 XP2 Windows Zero Config Dell TrueMobil 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

NETGEAR MR814v2 Firmware Version 5.3_05 Firmware updated from 5.03

Thanks for all your help, hunwalla

Reply to
hunwalla
Loading thread data ...

(nice bit of misattributi>>> That's actually a misconception. Lots of people will tell you that >>> hacking

Great. So we've got 100 million Internet users in North America, and 99% couldn't do that. There's a MILLION hackers out there trying to get into my wireless network!!!!

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.