question about wireless and laptops

Hi, I have a question about using wireless networks at public cafes ect.. A local cafe says they are wireless but with T-Mobile hot network. Does that mean if I go there i wont be able to go wireless unless I pay for the service? Im looking for a free wireless hotspot- please advise.. I thought that as long as I have a wireless card it was free at these cafes? (USA located)

Reply to
KOS
Loading thread data ...

Do they give you free coffee and cakes as well or should it be the other way round, if I pay for my broadband, does my ISP give me free coffee and cakes?

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Locations that tout Wayport or SBC FreedomLink are "play-for-pay" as well. There may also be local providers in your area that run fee-based hotspots.

How do you tell free from fee? Businesses that offer free Wi-Fi aren't shy about advertising that fact, since the hotspot's raison d'etre is to build traffic, and it can't do that if no one knows about it. So if the location's promotional materials don't identify it as free, draw your own conclusion.

Depending on where you're "USA located," it'll be free (or at least it should be) at any of the locations listed here:

formatting link
formatting link
You also might hop over to
formatting link
and search for free hotpsots using their online finder.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

What part of the US are you in?

Reply to
NetSteady

Asking is no fun and my crystal ball is fully charged and functional.

Look in his message header and note the "injecting host" item for Google Groups. posting-host=24.2.233.252 Then go to:

formatting link
punch in the IP address. It claims his posting host or ISP is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Your header shows: posting-host=65.60.235.90 which puts you in Columbus, Ohio.

Of course, it put me 50 miles away in San Francisco instead of the Santa Cruz area, but that's because I have an ancient SBC DSL line with a somewhat long ATM PVC (permanent virtual circuit).

Gee... this is fun. How close did I get? Do I get a prize if I guess correctly?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

In your local Coffee & Cake shop??

;-)

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

So what about locations in the Uk for free hotspots?

TIA

Reply to
Az

Ever tried Google? Really cool search engine, just type

formatting link
and enter something like "free uk wireless hotspots"

3rd link down gives this
formatting link
Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.