Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away

I think of the subject listings in a usenet group to be like headlines on a newspaper story. They are meant to grab the attention of someone scanning the listings. Newspaper headlines are often written by someone other than the author of the story. The story stands on its own. Jeff seems to go the other way, reading every article and seeing none of the subjects, unless I misunderstood him.

Nah, thanks. I continue to use a text newsreader for a text usenet. It works fine except for posts where the subject line is too long, and contradicts the information in the body of the posting.

Why would you ignore the sentence in your first post that certainly seems to contradict the subject line. You don't seem to quote that one in your continuing posts.

Your posting was not an example of succinct clarity.

I gave it only a cursory glance, thinking that 3 blocks in any direction probably wasn't going to work, so I didn't reply initially.

I didn't and wouldn't care if you were poaching a free connection, using a paid connection, or using your own connection in either direction. The radio distance and some of the challenges are the same.

Who's generalizing? I've made no comments about your political persuasions or honesty. Why would you question my logical thinking abilities? I suggest that you need to reexamine your stance, given that it is not a popular opinion. Right is right. Wrong is wrong, and there's plenty of space in between.

The comments from you about groups, cliques and allies almost had me laughing out loud. I I only see a couple of posters that I recognize, but I have had arguments with Jeff of style over substance. I don't like his style sometimes, but the substance, buried in the chaff, is correct. Mark McIntyre is familiar as someone that I do disagree with technically, but that's okay.

I see that someone made a beneficial technical comment, about putting a repeater midway in the link. I've seen that in long distance links, where there is some impediment in the way.

That's the answer that probably would have been third if you had accepted a criticism of you initial post without snapping at everyone who suggested an editorial change... save the one guy with the comment impugning your honesty and parentage. I would just ignore him.

Reply to
dold
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@76.usenet.us.com hath wroth:

Close. I go down the list of articles chronologically. I start reading. If I get turned off in the first few sentences, I hit "next" and I'm on to the next article. I rarely look at the subjects mostly because very few subject lines are worth reading. They're usually something useless like "Help me" or "Linksys doesn't work". However, in the interest of global harmony and averting another endless discussion over such trivia, I have setup my various readers to display the subject line along with the text. Whether I actually remember to read the subject line is currently indeterminate.

It's taken me many years to conglomerate a workable combination of humor, technical data, my never humble opinion, and subtle criticism. Just when I think I have optimized the magic combination of ingredients for all occasions, you appear and call it "chaff". I'm crushed.

If I just delivered the answer, that would be terminally boring. That's often done by many knowledgeable people with a one-line reply. The answer is correct, but there's no explanation, no URL's, no background, no anecdotes, no opinions, and no examples. I like to add these to my answers, which makes them complete and generally useful. I don't bury the techy stuff among the "chaff", but I do mix well before serving.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ah, which wasn't the case here as any reasonable person reading the entire thing would know what was being asked.

Actually I do and have. And the VERY FIRST SENTENCE STATES "I have the internet at home". So trying to access another internet connection makes no sense. HENCE MY POINT The entire time.

Sure it was. I have the internet at home. Adair said I should pay for my own internet, which I clearly do. When I corrected him is when this turned "ugly". He & the others took exception for being corrected and latched onto any pathetic example they could which was only a part the had to take out of context. And of course thanks to one of you (Dana) context is very important.

IN any direction even though it said "MY CONNECTION." Then you misread.

yes, I am getting that point so I just won't go down there as much.

I constantly reexamine my stances. A healthy person should. If they don't then it's ego stopping them-not whether they are right or wrong. Sometimes I change my mind. However in this case the evidence suggests to NOT change my stance.

Yeah, I'm a little uncomfortable putting a repeater on my car outside the place. Too much trouble for me. But I do appreciate the feedback.

Actually had you read this in order I snapped at no one. In fact my second post July 21 at 11:03 AM further clarified what I wanted stating "I have the Internet at home. I just want to access it from the restaurant "

Adair snapped at me stating "Why not buy your own internet connection? Now there's an idea.... ". WHich of course I do and stated in my first sentence "I have the Internet at home," It was when I responded to Adair in kind (my 3rd post) "Why not read my post properly? Or even the subect line. Now there's an idea... ", that this became what it has become.

Reply to
Discoduck

Let's quote it again. I see you have the first part, but it shouldn't be truncated there. "..., but there is a restaurant less than three blocks away that I would like to access."

Why would you not want to access a different internet connection? HENCE YOUR POINT is only clear to you. You might want two access points, one behind a firewall, one not.

Some people who might have been able to offer technical help disagree. You are more concerned with fighting the grammar and pointing out that they are incorrect about your posting than saying, "Okay, and now that you understand, do have any technical suggestions, or do you just want to babble on about the grammar?"

Reply to
dold

Then why volunteer I have a connection? Why mention my HW?

This too is not true. Again reading the WHOLE post there is no other conclusion. Second off, my very second post removed any amibuity. Third, I was correcting Adair stating I wasn't paying for my own connection. I replied in kind stating I was and that I had stated that.

Reply to
Discoduck

Why are you wasting your time arguing with these assholes?

Reply to
nonya

to set the record straight.

Reply to
Discoduck

The clown has not yet figures out that the micro-give-a-sh|t news group is ===> that way.

Might consider doing what the rest have done and ignore.

Reply to
NotMe

there were well over 100 hundred posts not ignoring.

Reply to
Discoduck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.