Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away

Ah, now it's finally clear.. gee..

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter
Loading thread data ...

That's not what you said. From your OP. "I have the Internet at home, but there is a restaurant less than three blocks away that I would like to access." I've tried to reason in my head how that sentance would make me believe that you want to use your internet connection from home at the restaurant and just can't do it.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Jeff is one of the more helpful people here. What he said and asked of you (as he said) is still very valid.. You have a problem making yourself clear and accepting help. Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

I'm using another DWL-122 USB dongle for this week's installation. I was dismayed that my Lenovo T60 had a strong signal, and the DWL-122 was only catching 1 or 2MbpS, and dropping frequently.

I thought I might reuse the gel-filled cable that was running past the two points of interest from a failed RS422 installation, but I wasn't sure how many wires it had in it, and I don't like to get anywhere near the messy ends of that gunk.

Then I picked up a plastic cover from a 100-pack of CDROMs, poked a hole in it 1.44" from the back, wrapped it with aluminum foil and stuck the dongle inside. It provides a solid connection with the "can" to an AP that is 150 feet away, through a few inside and outside walls. I didn't post a picture, 'cause it is kind of wrinkly, and it functionally looks a lot like my coffee can.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Heh, good one.. getting home on the roller skates is going to suck! Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

I don't want to be on thier network. I don't even know if they have a wireless connection. I just want to access my Internet connection from there since I frequent it.

Reply to
Discoduck

It was clear before. Why would I mention my internet connection at home and why would I state in the subject line "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away" if I wanted to access thier connection?

Reply to
Discoduck

Well try a tinsy winsy bit harder. I mentioned my home internet access and I stated (in the subject line yet) "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away".

Reply to
Discoduck

Nonsense. I thanked those that offerred information (re-read the thread). And my post was clear. with "I have the Internet at home" and especially the subject line "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away".

You, Adair, took exception to my correcting you. You stated "Why not buy your own internet connection" when I stated (twice) that I do. You have a problem simply admitting you were wrong.

Reply to
Discoduck

They way you wrote it, there was no other interpretation than that you wanted to access the restaurant's internet, The correct statement would have been "there is a restaurant less than three blocks away that i would like to access MY CONNECTION FROM."

No, he made it for the same reason I did - because he read the words you wrote.

I should think that he didn't undertstand the bit you didn't write, just like you omitted "not" from the above sentence. Please note that if you have a comment to make, it goes in the BODY of the post, not in the subject.

s/reading/writing/g

If you'd explained the actual problem, Jeoff, who is one of the real gurus here, could almost certainly have answered it. Somehow I doubt he'll bother now.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I need to work on my quads anyway.

Reply to
Discoduck

Ok, however you see it. I did not clearly read the subject however the body of your post was unclear. Reguardless, it is now understood what you are tying to do.

Reply to
Adair Winter

What part of "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away" can't you understand?

you mean "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away " and "I have the Internet at home". Why on earth would I mention that if I wanted to access the restaurants?

So you ignore subject lines? How odd. Why is that?

I did explain it, and have received some help. And to those offering the help, I thanked. If Jeff chooses not to further help, so be it. But that does not mean my post was unclear. It was. Especially the subject line. I can't help it if people over look that.

Reply to
Discoduck

Oh shut up.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Such a response is typical of someone frustrated when they lack an understanding. So besides go screw yourself, warren, I'l ask you, Warren, what part of "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away" didn't you understand, Warren?

Reply to
Discoduck

"Discoduck" | | It sounds like you didn't understand the problem so you couldn't have | solved it anyway. | You're welcome.

Lets see you came with a problem seeking a solution.

By not stating the nature of the problem clearly there was a misunderstanding and the results did not adequately address your concerns.

And the fault is the perception of those trying to solve your problem?

I might suggest 'take out ordering'. Might be some delta T (temp) loss in the transition but the rf link should be quite strong.

Reply to
NotMe

This is were you are wrong. What part of "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away" was unclear? Really? And then add the fact I mention I have access at home, that adds to the clarity. I even stated my router model. Now how on earth am I going to access the restaurants connection with my router? That's right, THAT makes no sense. Therefore the only reasonable answer is I was looking to "access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away." It's as clear as you can get.

Close. I was clear. Read above. Especially the subject line. But then someone wrote sarcastically "Why not buy your own internet connection? Now there's an idea.... " When in fact I stated prior "I have the Internet at home" with the type of router i have, etc. After that comment was made, the conversation went down hill as some took exception to my pointing out that indeed I had already stated i have a home connection, prior.

No idea what this means.

Reply to
Discoduck

Discoduck hath wroth:

True. I'm also frustrated. However, that's because this newsgroup seems to attract a steady stream of users that can't seem to even supply a marginal description of what they're trying to accomplish and what they have to work with. I'm not going to count, but my guess is that I've tried to answer about 6 questions today, none of which bothered to include the model number of their router. Those that did, didn't include the hardware version and only one firmware version today. That's usually high because some days, I have to pry the model number out of literally everyone.

However, I enjoy detective stories and answering technical questions. They're quite similar. In your case, I deduced that you have a laptop, palmtop, or PDA because most people don't drag desktops to restaurants. I presume that you own a wireless router or access point, but as usual, there's no model number, version, firmware, etc.

Profanity is the last refuge of illiterate motherfuckers.

The part that's worth answering.

Incidentally, I usually run my newsreader without the subject line or the other menu garbage on the top of the screen. That's because the subject line usually has little to do with the question and is often incoherent. To your credit, it would have been helpful had I read your subject line, but I didn't. If you expect answers to your questions, try to make the body of the message complete, stand alone, and include plenty of numbers. Also, thanks for not including "the subject says it all". I usually ignore those.

Your move.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"I have the Internet at home, but there is a restaurant less than three blocks away that I would like to access. My home is higher than the resteraunt so I hope that helps."

Just to be correct, above is your actual request. Per my grammer school english experience, the "there is a restaurant less than three blocks away that I would like to access" indicates that you want to access the resturant, not access your home from the resturant. People have to go on what you wrote, not what you thought you wrote. Just like computers will do exactly what you tell them to do, not what you thought you told them to do. Less than adequate technical writing often results in unintended results. So I suggest you suck it up and move on.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

In stating that you wanted to acess the rstaurant's service.

Reply to
Dana

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.