WAG54GWireless G ADSL Gateway problem

I have had my WAG54G Wireless - G ADSL Gateway set up and in operation for about 3 months. It was working very well until yesterday. The DSL Internet light switched from green to red and my connection has been down since.

I tried to go to the configuration address, http://192.168.1.1/and check the settings, but can not get through to this address. I get an error message screen that says the site is not available. What am I doing wrong, or failing to do right? Any suggestions???

I'm down to my dial-up connection, and getting anxious.

Reply to
Gordon
Loading thread data ...

If you can't connect to 192.168.1.1 then this implies that your PC IP address isn't valid for your LAN subnet. Apparently if the PC can't get a valid IP address from the DHCP server then it uses a 198 (?) address. This seems more likely to happen if you connect through a wireless link to the WAG54G rather than through a wired link.

So:- Try connecting via a wired link, then check your WAG54G settings for username, password, etc These could have been lost if :- -someone had reset the WAG54G making it lose these settings. -you left remote administration turned on, and a hacker has adjusted them for you.

If you still can't connect then you could try resetting the WAG54G and re-entering the parameters from scratch.

Ummm have you paid your broadband bills recently?

Hope this helps

Reply to
nospam

Thanks for this response. I will try to give you more information to go on.

My first thoughts were that I was in trouble because I had changed my password for my internet service. I did the password change, using this computer. But, I didn't open the WAG54G setup screen and change the password there, if that is a requirement.

The DSL failure didn't show up until a day or so later, but this may be because the DSL service never blinked during this time, so a new connection did not have to be established. And, yes, I am paid up with my DSL service provider. This is a part of my regular phone bill, which is direct debited to my checking account and paid almost instantly, when the phone company submits their bill.

I am not able to get into the Linksys Setup screen at all, so I can not verify any of my settings. A printout that I made several months ago, when I first set this up shows that I changed the Local IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 109.113.132.134. I don't remember just why I did this, but it may have been because of some other problem and I was just groping for a work-around. Anyway, I can't get to the Setup screen even with this Local IP address.

I'm presently working from and through my desktop, which is wired to the WAG54G, not through a wireless link, although I have tried getting through with my laptop and the other desktop, both of which are wireless connections. Same thing...I can't get to the Setup screen. I've never had remote administration turned on, so this surely isn't the source of the problem.

When I turn the WAG54G off, then turn it back on, the green lights all blink in accordance with the information given in the manual. The only thing that fails to go to completion is the red internet light never turns green.

The WAG 54G has not been reset. This is a three computer home network setup, and I'm the only one that messes with the WAG54G setup. I haven't touched the reset button.

All three computers can communicate with each other, so the local setup is not malfunctioning. I just can't get my DSL connection up and running. But, I can dial-up through this same phone wall outlet, so there must not be a problem with the phone line.

Can you think of anything else I can try before I give up and punch the reset button?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Gordon
  1. Ahhhh - you need to change the login password to the ISP on the WAG54G - it is doing the connection to the ISP, not your PC. This probably explains why you can't connect to the net through the WAG54G.

1. Is 109.113.132.134 in the range reserved for local subnet addresses? The

192.168.x.x range definitely is, but I'm not sure about 109.113.x.x and I'm not sure what the effect of using it would be. I would stick with the 192.168.x.x range, at least until you've got it working again.

1. Get the wired connection working first, before moving on top the wireless connection. If you can't connect to the WAG54G (using a wired connection) then this implies that your PC IP address isn't recognised as part of your subnet by the WAG54G. Are you using DHCP - on both the WAG54G and your PC? Or if you are allocating the IP address statically then is it set to a suitable value?

2. If you still aren't connected then I would be tempted to reset the WAG54G (hold the reset button down for 10 secs) and then re-enter al parameters. You will need to know your ISP username, password, VPI and VCI - your ISP can tell you suitable values for these.

Reply to
nospam

Hello there! If you updated the Linksys setup file, you'll have to do a full reset (back button, hold it down for 10"). Then hook up again with your PC to the router and start from the beginning. It happened to me too and now it's working just fine, very powerfully indeed: I can pick up the signal from my garage which is 4 floors down in the basement!!! Cheers, Steffo

Reply to
Steffo

Is this by any chance a Windows XP SP2 related problem? I was accessing my Web-Based Utility at IP Address 192.168.1.1 on a regular basis a few months ago, when I first set up my home network. I have SP2 installed, and haven't had any problems that I can identify with it.

Incidentally, this set of problems pertain to three computers in a home network. All three are running Windows XP SP2. I have my desktop computer cable connected to the WAG54G, my notebook connected by a Linksys Model No. WPC11 Wireless-B Notebook Adapter, and my wife's desktop computer connected by a Linksys Model No. 54Gv4 Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I set up my home network a few months ago, and, once I got things up and running like we wanted them I had no need to open this Web-Based Utility, until I tried to change my ISP password.

After the password had been changed on my ISP server I thought all was well, but two days later my LinkSys WAG54G Wirelses-G ADSL Gateway must have dropped its connection. It never could re-establish the connection.

I then used my dial-up to restore my old password on my ISP server, and the WAG54G picked the connection up promptly.

But, I still want to change my password on my ISP server. To do this I need to be able to coordinate this change with the WAG54G password. Unfortunately, I can't access the IP address

192.168.1.1 the way I used to be able to.

I did a Start - Run - cmd.exe to open the command processor, then keyed in ipconfig /all to get a reading on my Windows IP Configuration settings. This window shows my Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection as follows;

Description .....: Linksys LNE100T100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical address...: 00-0C-41-EE-59-46

Dhcp Enabled...:No

IP Address...: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask...: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway...: 151.164.23.201

DNS Servers...: 151.164.1.8

Everything seems to be in order here, but when I key the IP address into my browser's address slot I get an error page saying this site can not be found.

Reply to
Gordon
192.168.1.1 is the default IP address of the router. The ipconfig info shows the IP address of your PC - which it is reporting as 192.168.1.1 - ie the same as the router!

Assuming that you haven't changed the default IP address of the router then your PC shouldn't have that IP address. Either:- 1. You have your pc ip address statically allocated to 192.168.1.1 - this should be something on the same subnet, and different from the router IP address - in which case setup a good IP address on your pc. or 2. Your PC is set up to get IP addresses dynamically, and your router is configured to dole out ones that clash with itself. - in which case reset the router so that it gets a 192.168.1.1 address and doles out IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.50 - 100 to requesting PCs.

Reply to
nospam

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:57:09 -0000, "nospam" wrote: Problem resolved...I think. I believe my pop-up blocker was indiscreetly blocking my access to the Linksys Wireless-G Gateway's IP. When I turned my pop-up blocker off I was able to key in the IP in my browser's address slot and open the site. I still don't understand why I was getting those error messages "The page cannot be displayed" instead of the usual message stating that my pop-up blocker had blocked this site.

Not, I have to figure out just how to simultaneously change the password on my ISP server and in my Wireless router so there won't be a conflict. If I change the password on my ISP server first, my DSL connection will probably drop dead. I guess I can then open the Linksys IP address and change the password there, without having an active DSL connection up and running.

Reply to
Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.