Vonage router-wireless router question

I have Vonage service that works great. Vonage supplied me with a Linksys RT31P2 router with phone port. I wanted wireless for my wifes laptop so i picked up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Does anyone have this set up? What order would be best to hook these up? I am new to routers & IP adresses so its very confusing to me. Thanks for any tips on this.

Dan9125@aol in NY

Reply to
dan9125
Loading thread data ...

David, Thanks for the help, this is how i have it hooked up now. The kid at Circuit City told me to connect to the WRT54 first then out to the RT31P2 then to my computer. This configuration didnt work very good, Killed my internet connection when i made a phone call also. One more question....what's DHCP?

thanks again, Dan

Reply to
dan9125

Yep, use the RT31P2 as the device connected to the internet and just use the WRT54 as an access point. Don't run DHCP on it, just connect it using one of the LAN ports to the RT31P2.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

Automatically assigns ip addresses

Reply to
gene martinez

It's better to put the RT31P2 first because then that should do the best to prioritise the voice traffic. If you put the WRT54 first, then you have to spend a little time configuring it to do so and from my experience, it's not as good and that's also with the Sveasoft firmware so stick with it how you have it now.

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. A service that offers IP addresses to clients on request.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Is there some reason not to run DHCP on the Linksys? I have the identical setup and run DHCP on both. Seems to work fine and I do have the RT31P2 first in line.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robin Brumfield

The reason not to run the DHCP service on the WRT is that you don't need two DHCP servers for a home network. On the other hand, if there's only one client, you'll never have a problem even if they offer the same IP address (bad thing). On the other hand, if they offer overlapping DHCP scopes, you can end up with multiple clients with the same IP address which is a bad thing.

In a large network, it's desirable to have multiple DHCP servers for fault tolerance and load balancing but then they have to be configured to have non-overlapping scopes. You'll never experience a problem with one client.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

That makes sense. I just never thought about them as being on the same subnet which they are not.

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
Robin Brumfield

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.