VoIP

If the cable company put transmitter/recievers on every 10th telephone pole where they have cable, then we could use cellphones to access our own VoIP service and call, email and send pictures free everywhere. They don't have to build towers on mountain tops.

Reply to
Snap Whipcrack..............
Loading thread data ...

But someone would have to put telephone poles and string co-ax cable between them to enjoy coverage on mountain roads.

The cost of infrastructure is a lot lower with a single cell tower scenario. And be assured the cable company if they were foolish enough to make the capital investment to put such infrastructure in place, would surely have a plan for nickel and diming consumers to get a suitable return on their investment for plopping transmitter/receivevers on every 10th utility pole....

And if it wouldn't pay back, it'd never happen. It can't so I imagine it won't. :-)

Reply to
Todd H.

"Snap Whipcrack.............." hath wroth:

Ok, I'll feed the troll. I'm looking for excuses not to work on my income taxes.

You're reinventing the wheel. That's exactly what's been proposed for LMDS service for at least the last 10 years. One of the aerospace companies even had a product that would integrate feeds from cable, fiber, telco, etc that would be delivered the "last 100ft" to the customer via LMDS handsets. Of course, that begs the question why does one need LMDS when the same thing can be done using WiFi.

Incidentally, 30GHz doesn't work very well in the fog and rain. If you think 2.4Ghz line of sight problems are fun, wait until you try

30GHz.

VoIP has nothing to do with the underlying transmission technology. I could do VoIP using Morse code if I could send and receive it fast enough.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.