Strange Ping Issue

Hi,

I have a really strange wireless issue going on as follows:

I have set a wireless access point (Linksys WAP54G) in our local arena. It is hooked up through a D-Link 604 router. When I walk around the arena to check signal I lose about 17% pinging google, but loses 0% pinging the router.

It doesn't seem like a wireless signal issue then since it loses 0% pinging wirelessly to the router, but why would it lose 17% pinging google through a DSL line?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
tarasan
Loading thread data ...

tarasan hath wroth:

That would be a DI-604.

Does the WAP54G walk around with you? If not what are you using to do the pinging?

Well, have you tried plugging in your computah directly into the DI-604 router, thus bypassing the wireless link? If you get ping loss that way, it's certainly not the wireless.

Incidentally, pinging Google isn't really a good test because the packet loss can be due to something at your ISP. Much better is pinging the gateway router at the ISP. Dive into the web based setup on your DI-604 and check the status page for the IP address of the gateway. If that has packet loss, then there's something amis with your connection to the ISP (DSL, cable, satellite, cellular).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Strange Ping Issue

A name brand injector cleaner every few months solved my pinging issues in one of my trucks.

Not sure how to cure the dog farting noises from my diesel's exhaust when idling though.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Diesel and fuel injected engines don't ping. Diesels have pre-detonation and fuel injected engines have computahs that adjust the timing to just before it starts to ping. However, if it's a conventional infernal combustion engine, either retard the timing, or use higher octane fuel.

My 83 Dodge D50 diesel used to do that. I replaced the muffler and it was still there but nowhere near as loud.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This isn't universally true - though with diesels its commonly called 'knocking'. By the way in the UK we call the noise petrol engines make 'pinking' for some reason

Bwahaha! My 1954 landrover 2.6 Ltr diesel does certainly not have a computer....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre hath wroth:

I sold my 1970 Series IIa last year. However, it was a petrol engine. My 1983 Dodge D50 diesel also didn't have a computer. The most complex electronic was the glow plug timer. Anyway, I was referring to a modern diesel engine, which has all the modern technology, and pays for it in lousy diesel mileage.

A dead car parked in front of the house is a local status symbol. I had two for a while, but am down to only one dead car at the moment:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Injected engines usually don't ping, but under some conditions they might do it for a slight bit before the electronics detect the pinging and retard the ignition.

The higher the octane, the more the detonation is delayed. The higher the ceptane, the faster the diesel fuels detonation. The higher the prozac, the slower the detonation.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Are you certain? Diesel has a cetane number, not ceptane.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah...sorry...haven't used the word in years.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.