slot design

don't know what hard-line is do you ? never mind , its the stuff you need a plumbers knowledge for

think 6 metre high industrial building with high placement on a couple of tinted windows , which is where the slot will go and on the inside of the window will be essentially invisible , I see a certain degree of assumption on your part which truthfully Id like to see you address , as I said I do this sort of thing for a living , lots of dishes and telephony so I do have some advantage . looking at the house I will mount the stick about 6 metres off the roof and place the ap inside with some hard-line up and cat5 down. easy and cheap just so you know next time its Belden 1573A if I had to pay for it Id be very unhappy :_)

>
Reply to
atec
Loading thread data ...

And you might want to check out Jeff's credentials.

luck will be needed...

I believe Jeff does too.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You can boost it to longer lengths. Over 5M you'll need a power supply. In the UK you can buy extender cables in places like

formatting link
and over in the astronomy / webcam groups you will read about people remote controlling telescopes and cameras via USB from the comfort of their living rooms.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I did find something else , used semi-rigid found in the shed ( 600 series), measures well and on testing we got a nice solid signal (matching my figuers) , you might re-read the thread , I moved the goalposts and ran only 6 metres of feed which of course gives perfectly acceptable results for a total cost of a couple of a few beers and some time. Happy ? yup sure am .

Reply to
atec

engineer ? bound to be boring .

See boring , no need

1/2 his luck as it can be fun and often very challenging .

yup , I have a couple of weeks in the field and he knows in theory , after 25 years and a couple of weeks schooling I do have an idea now and then that works :_)

>
Reply to
atec

If I had any common sense, I would avoid such personality clash discussions. It try to exclusively deal with a persons ideas, calculations, conclusions, and recommendations, and completely ignore any character references. However, since I lack common sense and since this seems to be about me, I'll make an exception, especially since I'm my own favorite topic of discussion. (My most recent resume is about 1985).

I think you'll find my credentials to be rather lacking compared to others in this newsgroup. I found my most recent resume from 1983. I don't think that will help. BSEE from Cal Poly Pomona in about 1971. Between about 1968 and 1983, I've worked for or owned something like

14 businesses, all of them in 2-way radio (PMC), marine radio (Intech Inc), avionics, and related areas. Several of my projects and designs were analog and early digital microwave radios (Granger Assoc). Throw in a few military adventures, a print shop, some spook stuff I can't talk about, and lots of consulting to keep me entertained.

In 1983 I magically declared myself to be a computer consultant with no more credentials than owning an original 5150 IBM PC (4.77MHz). Since there was nobody around who could explain anything, no time for classes, and only the IBM Tech Ref manual, I used the "Learn by Destroying" method. I helped fix PC's at a local clone dealer in trade for referrals. Fairly soon, I was in demand and had a new career. I decided that the skools were going to crank out programmers by the millions, so I elected to stay in the hardware end of computahs.

1986 thru 1995 revolved around family demands and basically prevented me from taking on any major projects, new businesses, growing the business, or long term commitments. So, I mixed computer consulting with fast fix type of consulting and design projects, mostly in radio design and SNMP monitoring. I developed reputations as a problem solver and as a market analyst, which offered work in ISP SNMP monitoring, network troubleshooting, and wireless, which at the time was not much better than magic. Throw in editing a few books, and some really weird research and report writing. I also was involved in trying to setup 2.4GHz WISP service locally, which was severely handicapped by the dense forest and mountains. I gave up, but learned quite a bit in the process.

In 2001, I had a medical crisis which required that I abandon my 60 hour work week and do something less suicidal. I continued to do computer repair and consulting (because it's easy) and set myself up as a wireless "system designer and troubleshooter" or something like that. Basically, I do the calculations, designs, offer sanity checks, make recommendations, make suggestions, pass judgment, run lab tests, and stay away from towers and rooftops.

I'm 57 years old, and suspect that I've made enough mistakes to be considered "experienced". I'm far from retired. A good self description would be that I'm a "curmudgeon". Nobody, except myself and several ladyfriends, have ever accused me of being boring.

I sorta believe in karma and luck. I try not to rely on them. Therefore, I do my calculations before I dive into anything marginal. If it doesn't work on paper (or on the computah model), it probably won't work when assembled or built. Specs and estimates are never as good as the data sheet or computah model claims. However, there is always luck...

Not really. I don't get my hands dirty any more. Mostly system planning and troubleshooting these days. Much of my wireless experience is from about 5-8 years ago and is limited to specific hardware and applications. That's like the stone age in the wireless biz.

There's plenty that I don't know. WDS is a good example. I've never done a WDS system, and haven't researched WDS at all. So, with infinite wisdom and overconfidence, I recently posted an erroneous explanation of the effects of store and forward on DSL bandwidth. Floyd Davidson posted a correction and I admitted fault. That's quite different from this discussion which seems to have degenerated towards a personality attack. In my never humble opinion, the mark of experience and expertise is the willingness to stretch that experience and expertise into unfamiliar areas, to accept advice and criticism, and to understand and admit errors when made.

We all tend to forget what it was like when we started out. I still remember some of the grand schemes and great ideas that were far from optimal or even functional when I was twenty something. I would cling to some plan well beyond where a reasonable person would give up simply because it was *MY* great idea. Mr Atec is apparently just getting started and has a way to go. Methinks he seems willing and ready to make his own decisions and mistakes. Time will tell if he profits by them.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ha, I warned 'em not to entice you! Of course, you *were* nice enough to not post all 2000 pages, but I *was* looking forward to details of the path margins on every single radio you've installed... ;-)

Yer a @#$%^&* old knob twister...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Actually, Jeff, you are probably the premier guru in this newsgroup, and we all appreciate your knowledge, wit, and helpfulness. Hang in there!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Put the maps back. You're almost as ugly as me.

See, stuff like that is worth looking at! Right?

I poked around and looked at some of the other pictures too. You are obviously having far too much fun.

I looked at some of the other pictures there too. Interesting.

Regardless, yer obviously a knob twister!

(All jokes aside, I *did* enjoy looking at the pictures.)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

you're saying you have a couple of weeks field experience? And Jeff only has theoretical experience? You're insane.

Many many field-taught engineers have said that. Generally shortly before the cathedral fell down / dam burst / aeroplane's wings fell off etc. Still, its up to you.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Careful what you wish for. You might get it. I ran out of "free" web space a few months ago and removed all my Radio-Mobile coverage maps and JPG's from my web pile (and replaced them with pictures of myself). There were only about 30 coverage maps but I do have more. Some were mesh type overlapping coverage maps included point to point fade margin calcs. Oops, I left one in place. See:

formatting link
's a bad guess as to the VHF coverage of one of the local ham repeaters (elevation 250ft) that I helped build.

Here's another of my web piles with coverage and link info:

formatting link
it's now 4 years out of date (due to lack of time) and only one page has any coverage photos:
formatting link
many projects, so little time.

I automated that years ago.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I guess you don't understand dry as a desert humour ,

Reply to
atec

or possibly you just aren't funny?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Oh I am , just very dead pan , not something your side of the water oft appreciates.

Reply to
atec

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.