Wifi Help...Please Help!

Well, I can see why you didn't get any answers.

1000ft is going to be a problem. All your robot has to do is go around a corner and you've lost the signal. Even if it could be made to work at 2.4Ghz, you're going to have link problems due to obstructions. The robot will probably need an omnidirectional antenna, but these have a fairly narrow vertical radiation angle. Can you insure that the antenna will remain vertical to within perhaps +/-5 degrees of vertical? Most robots cannot. Also, your control point might need a dish or panel antenna that somewhat tracks the robot to withing about +/-15 degrees. Is this practical?

How about some clue as to your bandwidth requirements? Are you belching video in which case you need at least 150kbits/sec thruput? Is your control one way analog, in which case a model airplane radio control will be sufficient? If bi-directional, do you really need

802.11 performance, or will a 900MHz unit with perhaps 115Kbits/sec thruput be sufficient (especially if it penetrates obstructions better and has much longer range)? Basically, I need to know what you're sending, how much, how fast, and over what topography, to offer any useful suggestions.

Also, are there going to be other robots (i.e. Robot wars style competition) active at the same time that might use 2.4Ghz for either

802.11g or video? If so, you might need to deal with an interference problem.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

1000 feet with omnidirectional antennas on a moving platform is going to be pretty dicey. If it's all outdoors, always line of sight, and there's no significant interference it might work, but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it.

I'd look for the highest power bridges I could find with diversity antennas, and maybe program in a "lost signal, back up a bit to re-aquire signal" routine. Disable encryption, etc...

You really want something in the VHF range for your data radios.

[Where are you located?]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

(I've already put this in a different forum, but I'm not getting any

replies)

Hello!

I'm trying to build a robot, and I'm working on the communications.

Here's the application: a 60 pound robot being driven around, the

farthest it would be away is around 1000 ft.

Here's my question. Will WiFi work? I'd be using 802.11g, and I think

I'd need extender antennas.

If you think it would work, what products would you reccomend, both for

the robot and the controlling computer.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
robowifi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.