AS for inter-AS link subnets?

In BGP what AS should the link subnet between eBGP peers be announced in? Is it OK to announce it separately in each AS? If not what else can one do?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson
Loading thread data ...

Hi Lars, thanks for the response. It doesn't help much, but I expect it's because I left out the detail.

We use eBGP with private ASs. The subnets linking the ASs are not naturally part of any of the ASs and they are not currently announced. This has some niggling problems we'd like not to have. Consider a triangle of ASs, call them X, Y and Z. If the link between X and Y goes down then normal traffic between X and Y works just fine via Z, but the border routers in X and Y can't do simple debugging things to each other because they source traffic from the interfaces addresses of the X-Z and Y-Z links which aren't announced to Y and X respectively. Clearly you can specify the source addresses for the debugging commands to be, say, the loopback addresses of the routers, but you have to remember and it confuses people. :-)

So if we want to announce the inter-AS link subnets can we do it from both ASs or is there something else we should be doing?

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson wrote in news:Sam.Wilson- snipped-for-privacy@scotsman.ed.ac.uk:

Hi Sam

You could choose not to announce the link at all, but normally the "owner" (the AS) who has the IP adresses assigned is the one to announce these IP adresses in the normal aggregation.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Lars

Reply to
Lars L. Christensen

Assuming that the the interfaces connecting the AS's are advertised withing their respect IGP's, I do not see any reason for you to be able to annouce the "DMZ" links via EBGP.

Reply to
Merv

If you have EBGP route filters these would need to be checked.

Reply to
Merv

"... not to be able ..."?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

yes, sorry for the typo

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.