Question about DLink router in AP mode

I have an SBC 2wire router. I wanted to be able to use my wireless network downstairs, but only had one network cable running there. So I took an old DLink router, connected it via cable to the first router and then put that router in AP mode. So the first router is assigning all of the IP addresses, but when I'm downstairs I can connect to the DLink.

This is working well. The problem is that I didn't write down any of the wireless keys on the DLink and I'd like to configure my work laptop to connect to it. Because the first router isn't assigning an IP address to the DLink, too, I can't get into the configuration to see it.

Can anyone let me know how to configure the thing? I'd reset it, but I'm not sure that I remember how to get it back into this mode in the first place. I set it up like this a while back.

Thanks

Reply to
LouDawg
Loading thread data ...

DLink routers usually use an address of 192.168.0.1. Open your browser type that address in and you should be at the routers setup pages. You can then read all the settings.

Reply to
Pen

Try holding in the reset button for 10 seconds... I think that should release the unit back to its default state.

Bob

Reply to
BHawk

Try the 192.168.0.1 address as suggested. (if your computers ip addy is not in the 0.1 range manually set it to something inside that range) If that's not it or you can't remember the username and password, reset the box and log into it. It might be best to unhook it from the router upstairs and plug your laptop directly into it so that it will supply you an ip address and show you the default gateway (the routers lan ip address) To put it back into AP mode all you need to do is get into it and turn off the DHCP Server and set the wireless security to match your upstairs router and make sure they are on different channels. Also set the lan IP address of that router to an address in the same subnet as the upstairs router that is outside of it's DHCP range. For instance if your router upstairs is 192.168.1.1 make the dlink ap 192.168.1.2 on the lan side this way it is accessble from any device on the lan in case you need to change settings you know how to access it.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

LouDawg hath wroth:

Nope. Nobody can help you configure your DLink whatever until you disclose the model number. Extra credit for finding the hardware revision and firmware versions.

You'll find emulators of various model Dlink routers at:

You can tinker away online to see what's available without destroying your setup.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the advice. The router is a DI-624, by the way. I decided to try and reboot my router. I stuck the paperclip in for 10 sec. The router rebooted. Nothing changed. Tried again 20 & 30 sec - nothing. I also tried power cycling it before and after I reset it.

So I'm still getting my IP address from the router upstairs. And, on top of all of this, the wireless no longer works and the network is showing up as unsecured when I search for wireless networks! This is really really frustrating because now I'm in a significantly worse situation than I was in before.

I tried to go to 192.168.0.1. Nothing. Didn't get anything back when I tried to ping it either. So the thing is still acting as an access point. I can't reconfigure it and I can't log into it. I just want to figure out what the damn wireless key is. Please let me know if anyone has another idea.

Reply to
LouDawg

The router is revision C, by the way. Thanks.

Reply to
LouDawg

Ok - after several tries I finally got everything working correctly. Thanks.

Reply to
LouDawg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.