Net Stumbler? for Vista

Have any Vista users tried Inssider and if so how does it perform?

formatting link
I have just had a play with it it on XP SP2 and it seems to work OK , but as stated it doesn't give CH or MAC address info on XP. One thing I do like is the fact that while it is scanning you can continue to use the connection to your AP.

Reply to
LR
Loading thread data ...

perform?

formatting link

When I used netstumbler, it reconfigured my wifi card. No way I could connect to an AP and run netstumbler at the same time.

Reply to
miso

perform?

formatting link
>

It disables Zero config if that's what you mean?

Reply to
David Fairbrother

For those that didn't read the web page, "Inssider" " is a replacement for NetStumbler that works on Windows Vista", it is not NetStumbler which is why I added the "?". When I tried it on XP SP2 it did not disable "wireless zero config" and I was able to scan my locality while having access to my network.

Reply to
LR

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have .net rev 2 issues, so it won't install.

Still, I don't see how inssider can run and scan at the same time since you need to change channels (hop). In fact, kismet has a hop/no- hop option.

Reply to
miso

I have rev3 installed but the latest is 3.5.

"A timer on the Form calls the Scan() function every two seconds" from

formatting link

Reply to
LR

The user mentioned it reconfiguring their card on NetStumbler. This was what I was referring to.

Reply to
David Fairbrother

My newsserver failed to post miso's reply so I was stuck with responding to your post.

Reply to
LR

Yes, Inssider scans about every 3 seconds, so it doesn't completely take over the Zero Config interface. One issue I've seen with Inssider though is if your Wi-Fi is extremely active (downloads, file transfers, etc) Windows won't scan the channels when Inssider requests it, so Inssider doesn't get updated information.

We created Inssider as a side project while working on our Chanalyzer application and decided to publicly release it. I've been cleaning up the code and getting it ready for open sourcing. We're going to go with the Apache License so that everyone can do what they please with it :-)

Ryan Woodings Chief Geek MetaGeek, LLC

Reply to
MetaGeek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.