Net Stumbler

Installed the software w no problems, can someone tell me what this program is used for and how to use it(I see other networks other than my own, how do I use it or connect to them. The forum for netstumbler is confusing and hard to use. Perhaps Jeff can advise me how to use and configure this tool-- Thank you. John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

You Install software with not knowing what It's used for ?

You want to steel a wireless signal by mooching off someone's 802.11* ? If that's the case, Your in the wrong newsgroup. If you have your own wireless network as you say, Why would you want or need to get on some other persons signal ?

Reply to
kevin weaver

Learn how to spell moron!!(steel????)

Reply to
John

NetStumbler just does a site survey, listing access points in range, their ID, the type of network, the channel, and also signal quality data.

Useful for setting your AP to an unused channel.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Thanks. Can't come up with anything better huh ? :) What a joke.

Reply to
kevin weaver

I'm the moron ? You install software you know nothing about ? The moron is you. : )

Reply to
kevin weaver

John is right. Does you mother know that you are using her machine?

Reply to
aualloy

"John" hath wroth:

No, it's not. It's the same Jelsoft forum software used by many other weblogs and forums. I suggest you go back to the Netstumbler forum and do some reading. It's amazing what you'll learn from the FAQ, installation instructions, help files, user comments, bugs (oh well), and what the search tools find. Speaking of Google, I incribed "how to use netstumbler" and came up with:

formatting link
like the pretty pictures which show what you should see after you read the help files.

Nope. I can't, but not for the obvious reason.

Since you dropped my name, you probably have read some of my postings.

99.9% of them include a rant about supplying what you have to work with. What version of Netstumbler did you install. What laptop or PDA did you install it upon? What exact operating system are you running? What wireless card are you using? The other part of my all too common rants is the fundamental question "What are you trying to accomplish"? I can't tell from your request for advice. Are you having installation problems? Is it running but does nothing? Are you getting funny numbers?

Did you notice my URL? It's LearnByDestroying.com, which means your should do some screwing around, break something, troubleshoot, fix it, learn how it works in the process, and only then yell for help.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes she does. Does yours ?

Reply to
kevin weaver

So what's this in your original post ?

"software w no problems"

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Robinson

Ever heard of abbreviations, idiot? Why don't you go service your boyfriend Kevin?

Reply to
John

Mom still letting you play with her computer huh ?

Speaking of service. You still doing mom ?

Reply to
kevin weaver
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Good job of making yourself look the moron.

Reply to
John Navas

How many time are you going to post that same link?

Reply to
John
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Hard to say.

Reply to
John Navas

I have t.

So you make a post that is full of grammatical errors, yet when someone else makes a typo or spelling error you describe them as a 'moron' ?

Unless your prepared to ensure your posts are free from error, I would suggest its a bad policy to give abuse to others for similar errors.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Robinson

Kevin, it seems you are still around. Your post leads me to believe that you are terrestrially inhibited. In case you did not know, "Wardriving is not a crime .. however, it has largely become etiquette to leave access points open for others to use just as someone expects to find open access points while on the road."

On the road Kevin implies that a person unlike in the 1800's may travel more than twenty miles from there home during there lifetime. How do you expect us to access the web with our laptops if we are imprisoned to one router in one place like you are?

I bet you can't even move into the next room, let alone reply from the beach like I am doing here. This free sharing of, anonymous Internet access to anyone with WiFi capability, is also the basis of wireless community networks, which are often considered the future of the Internet.

formatting link
"Basically, what we want is the expectation that if you open your laptop .. at any given place, you have access to the open Internet,"

Free Wireless Everywhere

formatting link
MacStumbler Wireless Network Software A small utility to help detect wireless networks using your airport card or airport extreme card. It is handy for diagnosing wireless problems or detecting networks while traveling. MacStumbler can also be used to map access points in an area when used with a GPS device, an activity usually known as Wardriving.

formatting link
Wardriv>

Reply to
-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

I don't know what all the fuss is about MacStumbler anyway except maybe that it keeps a history and talks. If you really want to know what wifi waves are invading your space "The AirTrafficControl Widget," on Apple discovers more signals long before MacStumbler trips over them.

Run them both and see for yourself next time you go on the WarPath!

Reply to
-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.