Need Help to Set Up Wireless Network

Hi, I am new here and I wish to set up my first wireless network. I am looking for a system that is as simple and as reliable as possible with no dead spots.

I have been looking at some wireless routers and adapters like buffalo, Linksys, etc., but I am confused about which equipment is best for my application.

Here are my specs: I live in a 2500 sq ft house with stucco outside walls and standard interior walls.The best place for the router would be next to my desk and primary computer. The routher could stand on top of a file cabnet about 5 ft from ground. The longest wireless run from this location would be about 110 ft.This distance would cover my entire house. I wish to reach two desktop computers that are probably about 75 ft from the base loaction as the crow flys. However, their signal would have to go through 2-3 sets of walls and or glass to get to the desktops or it would have to go a longer way and wind it's way through a narrow hall. The two desktops are older computers(yr 2000) that have pre 1.0 or probably 1.1 USB ports. . They have network cards but don't have wireless adaptors. I am planning on upgrading these units in the next 2-3 mos to modern vista based computers. I also will purchase a new laptop and uprgrade my base computer in the next 6 months. It will go from XP to Vista.

I will be using this system for surfing the net, sharing some files and my children wish to use it to GAME against each other. I get my interent service through cox cable.

So which wireless router is best for me? What adaptors should I buy with it?

Reply to
lifeisfun
Loading thread data ...

I should add that I also have an HP all in one printer that is wireless enabled. I would like this to be the sole printer for all of my computers.

Reply to
lifeisfun

Why such a hurry to go to Vista when most products are still not compatible with vista yet noit to mention holes in vista.

For router, get one that complies to either Wireless-G (802.11g) or Wireless-N (802.11n). Brand could be Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear.

formatting link
Some example that complies to 802.11g are Linksys Routers : model WRT54G, WRT54GS, WRT54GS, etc. See
formatting link
Linksys page alos shows adaptors.)

DLink Routers: DI 624, DI-524S (See

formatting link
Do not go with models lower than those mentioned above.

Wirelss cards would be cheaper and more stable than adaptors if you have PCI slots to install them. If not, use Wireless USB adaptor. Find compatible ones to the routers on manufacturer's website. Do not get brands other than Linksys, DLink, Netgear. Examples of wireless USB adaptors are are DLink DWL G122, DWL G132 will work with DLink router DI 624 and DI-524S, etc.

If the adaptors do not work well, get the more expensive > I should add that I also have an HP all in one printer that is

That printer can connect to the wireless network established with the routers easily. Any computer that gets onto the home wirless network would be able to print tp that printer oncve the driver for the printer is installed on those computers.

Reply to
misc_help

I am not in a hurry to go to Vista, but two of my computers are in bad need of repalcement and I might as well go with Vista on the new system instead of XP otherwise I will have to buy the operating software twice. On my base computer I am going to wait until the end of the year.

Netgear.http://www.Linksys.comhttp://www.D-Link.comhttp://www.netgear.com/ I am not sure if G is sufficient for my situation. What do you think? If it's not, I have been told that Mimo is a better choice than N. They say that the N is still not as proven as the Mimo and N costs alot more.

See

formatting link
(This Linksys page alos shows adaptors.)

What do you think of the Linksys SRX400 Mimo router? Also what do you think of the suto mimo router that Buffalo makes?

Also, I have heard that the USB adaptors are very poor vs the PCI cards. Is this true? The Buffalo uses an ethernet station that hooks into the ethernet card instead of using a pci card. What do you think of this?

Thank you for your help

Reply to
lifeisfun

Are you under the impression XP will suddenly stop working one day? Why will you _have_ to buy an OS twice? I mean, it's your call of course, but I would personally recommend someone sticks with XP until Vista is at SP2 at least. Right now it's a buggy & bloated mess. MS needs more time to work out the kinks.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

If you already have XP installed int here, and now if you re-install, why would have you have to buy another license again? Think about it.

Netgear.http://www.Linksys.comhttp://www.D-Link.comhttp://www.netgear.com/>

Try and see it for yourself.

If I were you, I'd try G first.

See

formatting link
> (This Linksys page alos shows adaptors.)

No clue. You have to do research and or test and decide. Router setup is not that difficult.

Again, test and see what works for you.

Reply to
misc_help

My version of windows is OEM from Dell. I believe this means that you are not supposed to install it on any other computer besides the original one. If you buy a new computer with a different motherboard you are supposed to buy new software.

Reply to
lifeisfun

Hi.

The current favorite of the inexpensive G routers is the Buffalo WHR- HP-54G.

formatting link
It's reasonably powerful and reliable and can take after-market firmware if needed for extra features someday. Other routers will work, but this is one that has been giving good results for many in the last year or so.

As far as G vs Mimo vs N, well, Mimo is what N is supposed to be. It MAY be that Mimo or pre-N (N is not set as a standard yet) will work better in your environment, but the general advice these days is to wait until it all gets sorted out. Thus the recommendation for the Buffalo HP.

On the client end, the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP ethernet adapter you mentioned is a good choice especially if you have two or more computers together in the same room so that they could both benefit from sharing the same device. This would work well with your existing ethernet NICs as well. Less to buy, less to configure.

formatting link
As far as going through 2 - 3 sheetrock walls, that sounds possible but getting iffy. Better if you can line it up so that it's windows rather than walls whenever possible. There is a chart here:
formatting link
Read that wiki to inform yourself and see the link calculations.

You might start out with these two devices and then see how your connection is across the house. If it's not good enough, then you can put a higher gain antenna on the ethernet adapter and/or the router.

The thing about choosing antennas is checking out the pattern it has and seeing what you need to cover. If the router is on one end of the house, then go directional with a panel antenna for it. If it's more in the middle, then you must go with an omni, like the included antenna, but there are higher gain omnis.

The ethernet adapter will want a directional panel antenna, if needed.

Again, see how the connection is with the included antennas before buying higher gain ones. You might need two, or just one. Come back here and ask for antenna suggestions once you have tested the devices in place.

This G system with an ethernet adapter as client will work regardless of your OS or computer. You don't say where your laptop is going to be located, but it's probably going to have built-in wifi and won't be N, so that's another reason to just go with G and get higher gain antenna for the router if needed.

Another option to get across the house is powerline networking. You would still get the wireless router, but instead of the ethernet adapter for the far end, you get this:

formatting link
It would require an ethernet switch at the far end to give you more than one connection.

Or this:

formatting link
It would require that your remote pcs have their own wireless client adapters.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Hi Steve,

This looks like it's worth a try. For under $60 for the router, I don't have alot to loose.

Unfortunately, I can't string wire between each computer and a single ethernet adaptor. So I suppose I will have to purchase two of them. I think that the buffalo PCI cards are about $30 each, but they are just standard high speed G and don't give the MIMO effect. So as I said I think I just need two of the above item.

here:

formatting link
Read that wiki to inform

Yes this looks problematic. What really concerns me is that the enclosed kitchen is between me and the rest of the house. The kitchen is full of appliances and cabinets.There is no straight unobstructed path between the base unit and the other two computers.

You don't say where your laptop is going to

I would like to use the laptop all over the house. Mostly within 75ft from base station. But there are many obstructions. ______________________________________________________________________

Powerline networking sounds like a good way to go if I just can't get the wireless to work. At some point I guess I could just pay someone to put in jacks and string wire, but I am sure this is an $1000 plus job to do a neat job. Steve, Thanks for the good ideas. Unless anyone has anything to add in the next day or two, I think that I am going to give that Buffalo system a try.

Reply to
lifeisfun

I'd weigh in on the Linksys WRT54 routers. I have a lot of customers who buy our antennae for those routers and they are mighty happy with the performance - speed and range.

No comment on the Bufallo gear. D-Link range is OK, and if you need better performance, go for our R-SMA dipole antennae at

formatting link
On XP or Vista, I'd pay some attention to a recent announcement from Dell to offer Win-XP for a couple of more years. Any which way we look, 1) XP will be around of 2-3 years and most software providers will support them and 2) Vista will need about that much time to stabilize. There are really a lot of problems with Vista we hear about these days. Also it demands higher hardware resources (about 2 times the RAM and processor that needed for RAM) and about twice the cost.

Have fun! www.c> Hi Steve,

here:

formatting link
Read that wiki to inform

Reply to
c24

I can't believe my long answer yesterday did not make it here. Stupid Google.

If it doesn't show up soon, I'll rewrite it. Mostly about a plan to work around the kitchen using two Routers and a set of Powerline adapters.

Before you buy anything, check out DD-WRT and see if you would be willing to re-flash firmware for your Buffalo. If so, then buying two routers instead of one router and one ethernet adapter would better allow you to adjust and grow your system.

You do not need two ethernet adapters for two computers within cable reach. It will take up to four computers.

Hopefully yesterday's post will show up.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Hi Steve sorry about your lost post, I would like to read it. I talked to buffalo about their mimo router and they brought up the idea of using two instead of one as a possibility. The more I think about it, I am very interested in using a wireless router with the powerline solution. Powerline would work well with the desktops and the wireless could be swiched on for the laptop. Even if I didn't get perfect reception with the wireless the powerline would cover me.

I have been looking at the Zyxel PLA-400 as a powerline solution. I like it because it plugs in by cord and does nott obstruct the wall socket. I can also get a good deal on them relative to netgear.

The only negatives I have heard about powerline are that you can get bad performance if you have many other appliances running while using the internet. Also, I have heard that if you have a power surge that it can zap your computer and or network card. Does anyone know if these two problems are real?

Reply to
lifeisfun

Yes. That's what I'm thinking. Like This:

Wireless Router #1 connected to modem covers that end of the house with ethernet and wireless Wireless Router #2 on other side of kitchen somewhere covers that side with both ethernet and wireless Powerline Ethernet Adapters connect the two routers across the house.

You just buy two of the Buffalo HPs and one Set of ethernet adapters. It will take a little bit of set-up for the 2nd router, but it sounds like good reliable approach with both cable and wireless coverage onboth sides of the house. And you can always plug in another powerline adapter if you have a PC in a dead spot. Great approach.

I don't know about the Zxel or other brands, but did buy/ install some Netgear ones to get the signal around a big fireplace. Easy solution

- they worked right out of the box. No set up. Impressive. Other people have had good experience with Netgear too. The Wall wart factor is a pain, I suppose, but I'd just put it on a short extension cord (not a powerstrip). I also haven't a clue on the possible dangers you mentioned, hopefully somebody else does...

Pay attention to the speed they are rated for. You want to get at least the mid-level speed of ...um...84, I think. Not the 11s, or whatever. You'll probably be doing some streaming around your house someday and having a stable high speed connection running through the house wiring will be well worth it.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Another thing I wrote was to clarify that those two Buffalo HPs are not MIMO. They are misleadingly billed as "MIMO-like" performance or somesuch.

But they are a notch more powerful than standard G devices and it's important that they are NOT MIMO as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

For what it's worth, that's essentially what I have... One cable internet modem, Linksys WRT300N downstairs, and BOTH the netgear 14Mbps AND a Netgear

54Mbps powerline connected to the router part, and upstairs/LR end of the house (cement block load bearing wall, blocks wireless), a Linksys wrt54g and the 54Mbps connection to the ROUTER (not the wan input).. I have to take exception to your thinking that bigger is better (as in numbers and speed)... Note cable internet is about 6-8 Mbps, so no matter how fast the powerline or the router, it can never ever go faster than the slowest part (the cable modem), so the lower speed 14 Mb powerline stuff is still way faster than my internet connection. Why 2? I essentially have two networks here.. one (the higher speed 54 Mb one) for me to allow file transfers etc betweeen machines, and the lower speed one (still way faster than the slow cable internet) for my sister so she can use the internet but not see or access my network. and I had some spare wrt54g's in my junkbox, and connected them with more lower speed ones, so essentially I have 5 AP's now, usefull when people come over and want to use the internet, but not see my computers

While it seems to work fine on desktops/laptops/tivo/etc, for some strange reason it will NOT work on my new dell PDA, had to get a hammock for the backyard so I could use my laptop, rather than sit in a chair and use the pda (at least that was my justification for the hammock)...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Great. Sounds like quite the system!

So, what is your take on; "bad performance if you have many other appliances running while using the internet. Also... power surge that it can zap your computer and or network card. "

Know or seen anything about that?

I'm suggesting that if he buys into one system, it would be wise to consider other, non-internet uses, like streaming or, as you said, file-sharing. And actually you point out that 14Mbps wasn't good enough for you either.

How much money will "lifeisfun" save by going with a 14Mbps system over the 54 (or 84, whatever)? Is it really worth the possible future limitations when setting up a new home system to save $30-40?

By the way, looking at the Zyxel homeplug product, it looks like it's high-speed, so this is a non-issue if that's what is being bought. Costs about double the Netgear though.

Besides price, any known draw-backs to the higher speed ?

Steve

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

I found this on the HomePlug AV standard, which the new Zyxel uses.

"Intellon has claimed that HomePlug AV's technology is superior to its power-line competitors in part because it is better able to handle circuit noise resulting from the presence or introduction of other electrical devices on the same circuit as the networked devices.

A demonstration at the Intellon booth sought to prove the claim. It consisted of side-by-side notebooks displaying a couple of video streams, which Intellon said were being transmitted from another notebook over a HomePlug AV network on one system, and either a DS2 or Panasonic HD-PLC network on the other.

The video streams looked great on both displays--until a lamp was plugged into the same power strip. The HomePlug AV video played on uninterrupted, but artifacts appeared on the display showing video streamed over the competing technologies. "

The new Netgear HD101 uses DS2, apparently, so it may have the interference problems. The Netgear XE103s (85Mbps claimed) that we were talking about use Home-plug 1, I believe, and seem to be good, perhaps too slow for streaming HD....

Here's a review on the NetGear 101: "Netgear really made a poor decision using DS2's 200Mb solution chip. These devices are really poor performers at any price. It's better to go with their 85Mb adapters that use the Intellon chip. If you're looking to stream HD TV, it's better to look into the HomeplugAV 200Mb technology using the Intellon chip. Their reliability and performance is far better than the DS2 based 200Mb technology."

So, for medium speed and good price- the Netgear 103,104 or the Zyxel PL-100. For high speed, the Zyxel 400 looks good, or maybe the Linksys.

Anyone else?

Reply to
seaweedsteve

So, what is your take on; "bad performance if you have many other appliances running while using the internet. Also... power surge that it can zap your computer and or network card. "

I'm suggesting that if he buys into one system, it would be wise to consider other, non-internet uses, like streaming or, as you said, file-sharing. And actually you point out that 14Mbps wasn't good enough for you either.

How much money will "lifeisfun" save by going with a 14Mbps system over the 54 (or 84, whatever)? Is it really worth the possible future limitations when setting up a new home system to save $30-40?

By the way, looking at the Zyxel homeplug product, it looks like it's high-speed, so this is a non-issue if that's what is being bought. Costs about double the Netgear though.

Steve

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Steve

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

I hate it that Google does that. It says that the post did not take and to try again later. I send it later and it takes or not. Finally, the next day, every attempt shows up. I suppose it has to do with the delay on our sat system.

Sorry for that.

I may have to switch to using a newsreader....but I'd rather not.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.