Long Range wifi troubles

I'm trying to set up a long range wifi connection between 2 sites, with decent line of sight(a few trees but I can see each antenna). Covering about 1100 feet. I have 2 EtherDesigns Cantennas, a 10" on the recieving end(a Linksys PCI card WMP54G) and a 5" on the access point, a Linksys WRT54G. According to the linksys software on the recieving end, I have a 51% signal, 3 out of 5 bars, and -77 dB with -79 dB of noise. It says the computer is transmitting at 18mb but recieving at only 1 megabit. Linksys reports that data in bytes are sent and recieved but does not recieve packets.

Windows sees the access point and connects to it, but shows packets recieved as 0 and won't get an IP address.

Is the problem simply not a good enough connection? If so, why does the linksys show 3/5 signal and transmit fine? Or do I have another problem going on where I can't get an IP address?

thanks Jamie

Reply to
bandit2941
Loading thread data ...

Only 2dB signal to noise? That can't be good...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Etherdesigns shows about 18dB gain for the "Cantenna III", and 10dB for the "Cantenna II". 10dB would agree with cans that I've built from 4" diameter coffee cans. I think 18dB is a lot to get from a 10" Cantenna. If it is

18dB, it would be a very narrow beam, and might be difficult to aim, and maintain aim. The FAQ refers to 5" as 8dB and 10" as 12dB gain.

Can you compare signal with and without the Cantenna, to see what the gain is? How are you aiming the antennas? Pure line of sight might not be correct. You should look for a signal peak, very slowly. Azimuth, altitude, and rotation of the can (parallel verses horizontal of the wire inside, or connector if you can't see the wire), and in between) will all have an effect.

There is also some fresnel zone. This isn't a laser beam, but more of a flashlight. If you can see the can through a hole in the trees, you might not be getting good signal thought the hole.

I notice that the long distance test on the Etherdesigns site has the can lying on a car trunk. The trunk would be reflecting and blocking the signal, and the can is rotated off vertical in a convenient resting spot. The cantenna doesn't appear to be connected to the Orinoco card, but I'll assume artistic license in setting up for the photo shoot. I'll assume he was standing with the laptop in his hands, pointing the cantenna by hand, and then rearranged the equipment for the photo.

Would it be possible to temporarily locate the PC closer? If not, bring the WAP to the PC, it shouldn't need an internet connection to give you a WiFi connection and an IP address. Troubleshooting the IP assignment separately from the RF signal would be a good thing.

Reply to
dold

What do you expect from a can?

Reply to
Luddite

That's not because of the can!

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.