WiFi long-connection disconnection problem

Hi,

I have three computers in a network, all connected to the internet through an access point. Connection is great for internet surfing but when I use it for example to copy files from one computer to another then the connection lasts for around a minute and then breaks on all computers even the one not involved in the copying. I can reconnect but I get the same problem if I try again.

Please help if you have any theories or ideas

Operating System on computers: XP Wireless Card on computer : DLink DWL-610 b Wireless Card on 2nd computer : DLink g Access Point : DLink DWL2000AP g,b Router : DLink Internet : Motorolla Cable Modem

Reply to
mikeeria
Loading thread data ...

I only see 2 computers listed below.

Connected how? I only see 1 wireless card listed below with a blank for the 2nd computer and nothing for the third. Are they all connected via wireless?

Yeah, I've seen this. Too many advanced features and 802.11g verus

802.11b.

How about guesses instead of theories or idea?

Most access points have problems dealing with multiple wireless protocols. Since you have an 802.11b only device, this will slow down the DWL-2000AP in 802.11g mode because it has to scan back and forth between 802.11b and 802.11g. To insure maximum havoc, the DWL-2000AP also can do Super-G mode, which is yet another mode that it has to scan. It all should work together, but sometime screws up.

First make sure your DWL-2000AP has the latest greated firmware: |

formatting link
like 2.00 fixed quite a few serious problems.

Then, turn *OFF* Super-G and auto channel scan. Try it and see if it works. |

formatting link
I have never figured out what the "Radio Wave" means or does. Try turning it off and see what happens (or breaks).

If it still screws up, then set the access point speed to a fixed "data rate" of 5.5Mbits/sec. This might be a bit slow for your cable modem as your thruput will only be about 2.2Mbits/sec, but this is just for testing. Try it and see if it works.

If only the last tweak fixes the problem, then you're only choice is to buy an 802.11g card to replace the DWL-610 card and run the DWL-2100AP in "802.11g only" mode.

Also, the DWL-2100AP has a nifty statistics page: |

formatting link
might show a high error rate. Unfortunately, it has no easy access to the syslog output which would indicate which device is initiating the disconnect.

The above list is better than most. However, you're missing a few model numbers. Firmware versions would be useful on the access point. Also, it would be nice to know if you're running XP Home, Pro, or Media Edition.

Also, an old "bug" of sorts appears in XP SP1, where 802.1x tries to authenticate, fails, and disconnects. If you're XP is Service Pack 1, kindly either upgrade to SP2 or disable 802.1x authentication.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry for the little input. I was very desperate after lots of trials but lazy enough to write all info. Firmware updates unfortunately didn't help. What helped was fixing the tx rate at 11Mbits/sec for the access point. (Before it was auto).

Thanks a lot.

cheers

Reply to
mikeeria

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.