Linksys SRX & SRX200?

What is the difference between a Linksys WRT54GX router (with SRX) and the Linksys WRT54GX2 router (with SRX 200)? The WRT54GX came out months before the WRT54GX2, but I notice that it is currently going for $20 less than the WRT54GX2. A friend picked up a WRT54GX2 because of the current rebate, but now he's curious as to how it compares to the previous router.

Also, which Linksys notebook adapter goes best with the WRT54GX2? The WPC54GX or WPC54GX4? I'm presuming the WPC54GX4 (with SRX 400) goes best with the WRT54GX2 router (with SRX 200) ... especially since there seems to be no Linksys adapter with SRX 200. But I don't even know what SRX ... the main reason for this post. TIA

Reply to
Jim Whitman
Loading thread data ...

Jim Whitman wrote: But I don't even know what SRX ... the

SRX Speed and Range eXpansion.Based on MIMO technology.

formatting link
Linksys ref:-
formatting link
formatting link
Not tried it yet so don't know what it performs like.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Tiny URL playing up

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Rob

One (WRT54GX2) has three antennae the other two. The two antannae is the lower priced model and *MAY* have a lower processsor chip in it.

The WRT54GX2 (look for version 2.0 which has positionable antannae, instead of hard mounted on a semi-circular hub) advertises 8x the range, 3x the throughput, while the cheaper version has 6x the range,

2x the throughput.

Haven't looked at this so I can't say.

I can tell you that a Buffalo Technology G adapter on the third floor tripled it's signal strength when I installed this. ALso a outdoor patio that is blocked by a thick boulder & masonry wall suddenly had very good/48mbps signal where previously I had very low or none and had never once established an IP address.

However I am having problems with the unit and have made a nubmer of contacts to linksys. However, linksys, like all tech support these days is bad. After two weeks I've made no progress with them.

The box goes belly up after a day or two of running. It was dying every day after about 12 hours. Its been running longer between failures since i did a factory default reset, but the failure to get a pppoe after it goes dead still exists. I figured it was a bad box but they are still troubleshooting this, so I'm not sure if i've found a bug in there code (shocking isn't it) or they just aren't willing to replace the unit yet.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

I am having the same problem with the wrt54gx2 (srx200) - after a period of thime the unit just stops responding. I returned one unit on the advise of their support person but the second unit is doing the same thing. I do like the range of the signal, and I primarily bought it because I kept seeing my neighbors LINKSYS WAPS showing up in my scans (And I don't have anyone closer than a few hundred feet...

I have contacted support now twice - I have updated to firware version

1.01.11 with no better results.

If I hear anything I'll update... Steve

Reply to
Steve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.