Newbie-Help Linksys WRT54GX

Bought Linksys WRT54GX used from ebay and guy had lost setup disc, I know that I can setup from internet, but was told that the setup disc helped prepare PC & Laptop in ways that the internet doesn't, does anyone have a copy of disc. Thanks very much for help, I really want to avoid any setup problems, wouldn't know were to bigin with trouble shooting problems.

Reply to
Ted
Loading thread data ...

I don't use either the setup disks or the internet based configurator. I just dive into the web based configuration in the router at: http://192.168.1.1 and walk my may through the menus. All the important connectivity stuff is on the first page. That should get you on the internet.

The Linksys internet based configurator assumes that you're already connected to the internet and is most useful for the wireless part of the configuration. I have no idea what the cdrom setup program does as I've never used (or needed) it.

If you want to deal with such things as port forwarding, game modes, and fine tuned security, you'll need to do it directly from the web pages. Might as well dive in and do it all page by page. If you're lost, try the tutorials:

formatting link

Nothing on the Linksys web site download page. Sorry.

What makes you think you'll have problems? Start with a wired computer plugged into the router. No wireless involved. Get it connected to the internet. There's help on every page in the web based setup. Then, go to the wirless page, and get it running. Download the printed instructions (user guide) at:

formatting link
follow the instructions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

.I agree with Jeff. That's how I set up my WRT54G (no X). Worked better after someone helped me change the SSID from default "admin"), in case some of my probs (yes, there still are some - see my later post) were interference from nearby similar router(s) with same (i.e. interfering) default SSID. As I recall, the CD mainly just directs you to that website and ttells you how to follow its directions.

-Brad

Reply to
avalanche

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.