Linksys router and torrent downloads - help me understand the log.

Hi there,

I am hoping someone who knows a bit about linksys routers can explain something to me. Me and my 2 other flatmates are having to reset the router every few days becaue it just stops working. However, this only happens when one of us downloading. At first I thought it was jamming the wireless and we discovered that if the person wanting to download torrents turned off his wireless connection and used a LAN cable instead from the router, then the rest of us were less likely to experience slow internet. But even so, a few days later it will crash again.

The only thing that strikes me as weird (and maybe is related) is that when I look at the incoming log for our router, it shows an endless supply of IP entries going to the port we use for downloading to the torrent program. Even when he turns off his computer, even when the rest of us are not dowloading, the log still shows these streams. It's as if even when someone here turns off their torrent downloads and even their PC altogether, the router still seems to be receiving endless torrent traffic. Is there any way to put a stop to this without having to reset the entire router?

F.

Reply to
fibbling
Loading thread data ...

On 24 Apr 2007 11:46:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote in :

The likely problem (covered in the wikis below) is that peer-to-peer filesharing is overwhelming the router with too many connections, causing it to fall over, a common, known problem. Options: * Don't use filesharing. Instead, buy legitimate materials. * Severely restrict the number of connections in filesharing software. * Get a better router. * Install and configure DD-WRT if your current router is supported.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.