Router log?

As suggested in one of the earlier posts to my questions about WEP vs WPA, I have set up the log on my Linksys router. This would be so that I would know if there were attempts to breach my security etc.

I have many options - should I choose them all?

system log (I assume this needs to be on)

firewall log - I'd be curious about this info but does having the router log it take resources from the router?

wan connection log ?

new traffic log - wan to lan and lan to wan?

Thanks again.

Louise

Reply to
louise
Loading thread data ...

What are you expecting to see? Logging is great if you know what to look for. You aren't going to see logs saying "Attempted breach of security".

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Actually, my router log shows exactly that sort of message. Trouble is, it does it for all sorts of innocuous things... So you do need to know what you're looking at.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Precisely and as soon as you've seen logs from your firewall telling you of "attacks" umpteen times a day, you tend to just ignore them.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I ran it through to a monitoring app via SNMP, then configured that to ignore the tripe. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes but you're not a typical home user who expects the logs to tell them useful information! :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.