Intel Wireless Proset limited to 11 channels?

Hi,

got a laptop ASUS W3v with a built-in intel Proset card. I could not understand why it would not connect to my netgear router even though my other 2 PCs could. I suddenly clicked that it doesn't want to try channels 12 and 13, which are the better ones for my house configuration. Surely this is modifiable in a configuration for different countries (wireless bands not all open in the same way across countries), but I have not found anything on the subject. Anybody?

Thanks

Reply to
jderudder
Loading thread data ...

What country are you in? If the USA, what you're doing is strictly illegal. Channels 12 and 13 fall into the downlink band for one of the satellite telephone services. While intereference is improbable, it's still not a good thing to do.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am in the UK, where it is legal, but somehow the card doesn't even look there...

Reply to
jderudder

It's difficult to guess your location with a gmail.com address.

Are you using the UK incantation of the Intel Proset utility? I'll guess(tm) that it's a 2200BG card.

General Info

formatting link
ID and drivers:
formatting link
The various drivers appear to be for all countries (which might explain the bloated 44MByte download size). I guess(tm) that the UK driver is mixed in there somewhere. I'm too lazy to take apart the install and see how it works. I guess(tm) it should ask what country you're in during the install. Try this:

1. Download the Intel ID tool to positively identify the card that Intel found itself too lazy to properly label.
  2. Find the corresponding driver on the Intel web pile at the above URL's.
  3. Remove the Asus Proset utility and drivers, and install the Intel version, which is probably a later version.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try Asus.com or Intel.com for the European updates for Drivers, Firmware, and Utilities. The best choice ( I think ) is Intel as they made the wireless card that Asus is using.

Reply to
Teddybare

(if you're going to use that broken google groups stuff, please try to keep some context in. There's a way, though I forget how)

Many manufacturers don't seem to ship drivers or kit that understands there are countries outside the US. As far as I can recall, not one of my wireless cards or routers has understood that channels 12 & 13 existed, despite buying them all in the UK.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

For many drivers there is a setting in the Advanced sections of the wireless properties that sets the region. But some times it is well hidden.

David _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
David Goodenough

Check on the properties (it frequently lurks on the advanced page) for a region or country setting. If the UK is not mentioned try ETSI which is the rules for most of Europe.

David _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
David Goodenough

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.