iMac in wireless network

Ik have a PC-based wireless network at home, with a laptop and a desktop PC. I recently bought a pink iMac DV, 440 Mhz PowerPC G3. Indeed, an oldie. How can I attach this iMac to my wireless network? I cannot find a USB-wireless adapter and moreover I read bad news about this solution. Is a bridge the best way to solve my problem?

Reply to
Klaas Jan Huizing
Loading thread data ...

It should have an internal slot for an AirPort card (NOT an AirPort Extreme). If I remember correctly it also requires a carrier for the card.

Bob W

Reply to
Bob Wardrope

"Klaas Jan Huizing" wrote in news:4253c0ae$0$44079$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl:

I have a slot loading iMac G3. I fitted it with an original Airport card which I bought on eBay. The card needs a separate adapter for installation. The installation is straightforward - there is already an internal anteena fitted to the iMac. It all works just fine.

I have also tested an Ethernet - wireless bridge. This also works just fine, and may be best since:

- Airport cards are quite expensive, and there's also the cost of the adapter

- the Airport only supports WEP (original software 64 bit only, 128 bit with an upgrade) and only a single key

- transpararent Ethernet bridges (often sold as a 'gaming bridge') are quite cheap, or you can also use a multi-mode access point in wirless client mode

I have tested it with the D-Link DWL-810+ and the DWL-900AP+. Both work fine, so I have no doubt that similar products will work as well.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

false.

airport supports wpa with osx 10.3/panther with all airport cards. it also supports 128 bit wep, which was added quite a while ago (over 3 years iirc). the upgrade to which you refer for wep is purely software and free. 10.3 is a paid upgrade from earlier versions (and 10.4 is about to be announced so no point in getting 10.3 now).

Reply to
nospam

nospam wrote in news:070420051649496771% snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid:

Indeed. The OP did not say which OS version the iMac is running - I assumed that since he said "Indeed, an oldie" (which you snipped) that it was probably 9.1 or 9.2 and had not been upgraded to 10.n - in which case the available upgrade is to 128 bit WEP. But I could be wrong...

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I used a LinkSys Bridge Version 2.0 WET11 and it works great with my Blueberry iMAC

Reply to
cgerlachnospam

Thanks for all your help, the bridge is my solution. KJH

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Klaas Jan Huizing

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.