home wireless network

Question, I have broard band connected but wish to go wireless, between me and the kids we have 3 computers at home. question is...what do i need to obtain to connect all 3 computers to a home wireless network. your infomation would be much appreciated Thanks

Reply to
brian
Loading thread data ...

If you got a wire router in place already, then all you need is a standalone Wireless Access Point and plug it in to a LAN port of the router. Wired and wireless machine can use that gateway router to access the Internet.

If you don't have a wired router, then you need to get a wire/wireless AP NAT router and let it be that gateway to the Internet for wire and wireless machine.

formatting link
Get a router that does logging so that you can watch traffic to and from the router something that works with Wallwatcher (free).

Get wireless G version that uses WPA for standalone WAP or wire/wireless NAT router.

Basics

formatting link
Of course, you'll need some wireless NIC(s) for the machines.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

1. A wireless router (obviously).
  2. Each comp needs a wireless adapter (either MiniPCI card or PCIMIA for notebook/laptop, USB or PCI card for desktop)

you will find much of the info needed to set up within these pages

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

dj

Reply to
Name

In article , 190@

201ibtinternet.com (known to some as Name) scribed...

FWIW: I would stay away from USB-based network adapters. They can introduce a potential bottleneck if they don't connect (on the USB side) at either USB 1.1 or 2.0 full-speed rates.

Suggest sticking with PCI for desktop systems.

Oh, and don't forget to implement wireless security practices! At the very least, you should insure that whatever wireless gear you get is WPA-compatible, and implement a mixed-character (numbers, letters, punctuation) password of at least 20 characters length.

You may also want to consider configuring the access point's MAC filters to prevent systems other than your kids systems from connecting at all.

Happy tweaking.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

To be honest, there's unlikely to be a bottleneck and the problem with PCI adapters is that the built in antenna is usually in a crap position, shielded by metal case.

Easier to locate a USB adapter on a cable.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

yes, never had any probs with my antenna, its sits atop my desk in clear view of the router.

Reply to
Name

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (known to some as David Taylor) scribed...

Ah, but only if you buy adapters with a fixed antenna. ;-)

This is what external antennas are for.

Keep the peace(es).

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Spending extra money when a cheapo USB stick on a lead would have worked in the first place :)

Reply to
David Taylor

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (known to some as David Taylor) scribed...

And how do either of us know this for certain? Have we done side- by-side bandwidth testing with both adapter types under similar conditions?

I certainly haven't (don't have the setup for it). However, my past (admittedly anecdotal) experience with USB-based wireless adapters has been poor at best, poor enough that I would want to see an objective study done before I trust the USB widgets again.

My current laptop uses a tri-mode (802.11a, b, g) MiniPCI wireless adapter. It actually cost LESS than a comparable USB adapter (I don't even know if any tri-modes exist in that line), and it performs (as near as I can tell) the same or better than a PCMCIA or USB thingie.

Consider this: It would be even MORE expensive to try the USB stick, determine it's not what you like, and then (since said stick is now out of the box and unreturnable) go out and buy a PCI-based adapter and antenna.

Show me an objective side-by-side study, where a USB-based network adapter did a BETTER job than a PCI-based adapter, and I will cheerfully STFU.

Until then, I'm sticking to my guns on this one, just as I'm sure you'll stick to yours.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Do the research, the info is out there. 802.11g is going to deliver a max of around 24Mbps throughput, USB 2.0 has a bandwidth of 480Mbps and modern class processors should not see any significant loading if at all, servicing that.

It won't be a problem :)

Try sticking that PCI connected antenna 25m away from the PC, can you say "signal loss"? :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.