Help in protecting my wireless router

Hi all,

Recently I bought a wireless router to connect to internet I heard that if I do not protect my router, some hacker can use my router to connect to internet. But I have no any clue to protect my router. By the way, my router is Netgear 802.11G.

Thank you very much

rick

Reply to
gouqizi.lvcha
Loading thread data ...

This link below gives some of the basics that will stop the ignorant home user your next door neighbor as an example. But more experienced one wants to come at your setup, then there really nothing you can do. You're on the

*Air*

formatting link
They can be all over the top of your machines wired or wireless so you want to use a personal FW with setting of LAN IP(s) that your machines are using on the LAN from the router with on the PFW, blocking all other IP(s) DHCP or Static that can be gotten from the router and block them.

If you can secure the O/S on the machines a little bit, than try to do that.

formatting link
If the router has logging, then use something like Wallwatcher or Syslog Daemon , both are (free) use Google, to what inbound and outbound traffic to and from the router for possible dubious connections.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The instruction book/CD with it tells you how to - all you have to do is make the effort. God knows how you're going to set it up and use it, or will the next post be asking how to make it connect or what your user name and password should be! Come on, a bit of effort, initiative and common sense required here. If you scan the book in or copy the help files I am sure someone will read them all back to you. I will help anyone, but never someone that will not help themselves.

Reply to
simon

Thanks Duane from another NG reader. Site you pointed out helped me also.

Frank

Reply to
... -.-

You're welcomed!

Duane :)

Reply to
K-Hen-Butt-Kicker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.