Convert Router to Wireless for ONE COMPUTER ONLY HT?

Okay, when I said one more thing on my last post I really meant one more thing after that...

I have another PC that the kids use. I rarely network it, but when I do I just run a Cat5 over to it. If I'm gonna set things up for the laptop, I might as well get a wireless adapter for the kids PC as well. I don't see any reason to get anything cutting edge.

I'm looking at the Linksys wireless router WRT54G or GL, so how picky do I have to be with this adapter?

I know I need 802.11, but is "b" and "g" support enough? I don't think I'll need "n" and I guess I don't need "a" or do I? USB is the way to go for me. 54Mbps to match the router. WPA and WPA2 support. Can't I just pick up a cheap one from NewEgg in the $20-$30 range? I don't think I'll need anything fancy, but if anyone has a brand recommend, let me know. THANKS.

NewEgg wireless network adapters (54Mbps,USB):

formatting link
If I'm pushing my luck and the explanation is too long to get into, just tell me to do my homework and I'll go away. ha ha.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson
Loading thread data ...

Thanks Char for your patience in explaining this. I think I got it now!

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

Jim, I'll weigh in here also on various points.

1) Most people in your position would just get a linksys type wireless and replace their wired, but consideriing you want easy on/off with a mechanical switch (versus a software switch) then it's probably best to "hang" a wireless AP (or router) off of your wired router.

To turn it on and off, pull the plug from the back of it. Or clamp one of those inline lamp switches onto it's power cord. Or plug it into it's own power strip with a switch.

You do not strike me as the kind of user who wants to get involved with DD-WRT or other alternative firmwares at this point, so give that a pass - for now. BUT, if you do think you might want to someday, then maybe you should get a compatible router for that. A linksys WRT54GL is good for that - they cost more than the regular cheapo Linksys 54G. The basic model has been downgraded over the years and the linksys WRT54G (no L) you can get at Walmart is weak and no longer has replaceable antennas. It's ok for basic nearby wireless, but it not very future-proof device so only buy the Walmart version if convenience and price are most important..

I suggest the WRT54GL on Newegg or even better is the Buffalo WHR-HP- G54 (at newegg) to get a quality powerful router that will serve you for any unforseen future configurations. The Buffalo has the best .coverage of any G router. Both will readily take DDWRT or Tomato if ever needed.

Linksys "L" router:

formatting link
"HP" router:
formatting link

2) You don't mention anything about the distances or coverage that you will need for your wife's pc or your kid's. This is important. If you need good coverage, then the "wounded" (no antenna connectors) version may not work. If you find that the regular antenna doesn't reach, then the better routers I mentioned will allow you to put a high gain antenna on them. In fact, that Buffalo already has a high- ish gain antenna. It's got great coverage.

3) Wireless USB adapters - I also prefer ones that have external antenna connections for the same reason. If reception with the built- in (usually weak) antenna is insufficient, then you can put something stronger on it.

Take a look at this one:

formatting link
Really, you need to give us some idea of your layout for wifi (distance, walls to pass through, construction) before choosing devices.

I agree that G is a good choice if your neighborhood is not over- crowded with wifi and you don't need to stream HD video over wireless.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

dd-wrt (and several other 3rd party firmwares) work perfectly on the WRT54GL.

Yes.

Reply to
Char Jackson

FWIW, the gl is a better device, just mentioned the wrt54g cuz it's discontinued and super CHEAP...... blowout prices at walmart

Reply to
Peter Pan

seaweeds,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the power switch, I'm not afraid of firmware updates but it might just be easier to put the switch elsewhere as you suggest. I think I've got this aspect covered thanks to you and the suggestions of Char and others.

My choice for Linksys was made mostly out of laziness. I'd much rather spend an extra ten bucks and get the GL just in case I need it in the future. I guess the choice is then between the GL and the Buffalo. Either one sounds fine and Newegg has them each for the same price. However, I've never heard of Buffalo and the Linksys brand is more mainstream.

Long story short, I only wanted wireless for "as needed" use by a laptop. I'd like to use the laptop for browsing and some basic video streaming. I don't need the "kids" computer on the network, but it might be nice to have it hook up quickly and easily in rare cases. So, as an afterthought, I thought I'd get the net adapter for that too. I live in a two story house, but the basement is carved out of hill and that's where I would keep the computer and router. It would be nice to be able to use the laptop anywhere in the house and just outside in the backyard. I can move the router to a more central location if necessary. There doesn't seem to be a lot of manuf. information about how far the routers reach. I will say that I've used wireless speakers broadcasting from a small antenna device plugged into the computer, and they reach everywhere in the house just fine. The reason for wanting to turn the wireless off was to avoid being hacked or having bandwidth stolen. Maybe having a strong broadcasting router is counterproductive. Then again, I really don't have any experience with the kind of range they have.

Well, again, I probably don't need anything that powerful in terms of range. The kids computer is pretty much in the same room. However, if it's just a few dollars either way, I might as well get one that might serve me better in the future. That said, I don't know much about the Edimax Brand, but the Newegg users seem to like it. As long as it supports "g" then I guess that's good enough.

Okay, so "n" has more to do with offering a different channel than a, b, or g. I have high speed bandwidth, but it's on the low end of the scale. I think G will be fine.

Thanks seaweeds. I'll mull this over and make a newegg order in the next couple days.

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

You did well answering my question, but I've changed gears a bit. I don't need more than the "G" but for a few dollars more I can get the newer GL version which might come in handy in the future. I guess it's between the GL and the Buffalo. An in another 180 turn, I guess at this point, I'm less concerned with buying it locally. NewEgg will be fine.

Thanks PP

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

If one of the neighborhood sent wifi without wap(or other protection) any "switching solution" in the house will ne not working, because the laptop can hang on the neighborhood unprotected connection.

Reply to
Rambo

Just put my order in. Going for the Linksys WRT54GL. I'll get a network adapter for the kids PC, but the laptop should be good to go.

Thanks everyone for your patience, time and advice.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

Did you read my reply speaking about ? .... "Wifi pc's can hang on an unprotected neighborhood connection".

Reply to
Rambo

Well, I'm a network newbie, esp. regarding wireless. I don't think wifi is available in my area although a neighbor might have a wireless router or something. I thought I could force the laptop to point towards my signal by assigning it an IP along with the router to recognize it. Anyway, I don't want to get into a lot of networking talk because I won't be familiar with it again until I do it again. If the problem you state exists, I'm not sure what the work around would be, but I assume there must be one. I'm not sure how that would have changed my purchase choice. Perhaps an "N" router?

Thanks for raising the issue. I'll post back if I have a problem, but the order's already in.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

Well, I'm a network newbie, esp. regarding wireless. I don't think wifi is available in my area although a neighbor might have a wireless router or something. I thought I could force the laptop to point towards my signal by assigning it an IP along with the router to recognize it. Anyway, I don't want to get into a lot of networking talk because I won't be familiar with it again until I do it again. If the problem you state exists, I'm not sure what the work around would be, but I assume there must be one. I'm not sure how that would have changed my purchase choice. Perhaps an "N" router?

Thanks for raising the issue. I'll post back if I have a problem, but the order's already in.

Jim

couple of things, you can just plug a wap/router (router part to router part instead of the wan input) into an existing router and it leaves your existing stuff alone, but gives wireless access to your network.... no reason you can't do that with what you ordered...... just plug it into your existing router instead of replacing it....

as for n, fraid you've been a victim of advertising lies, ain't no n specs yet (just pre-N), so they can call ANYTHING n at the moment, and make any outrageous claims lies, specially if they use the weasel words "up to" in their lies....like up to 2,4,8,16,32,64,etc times the range, think about it, do any of them guarantee extra range, or do they use the weasel words "up to"... may work better or may work worse, i'd avoid it.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Actually, that's just what I intend to do. Thanks!

Well, none of the stuff I ordered is rated for "n", so I guess I dodged that bullet.

Thanks again. Jim

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

HEY!

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I just wanted to say that I followed the collective advice of everyone here and things worked out very well. I got the WRT54GL wireless router and used it as a switch, plugging it into the wired router. I just pull the plug when I want to "disable" wireless. I'll eventually rig some kind of switch on it for easy use. I ended up redoing my whole network. Good learning experience.

Okay, that's it. Just wanted to thank alt.internet.wireless and alt.comp.networking.routers. It really is neat that people are willing to share their time and knowledge with a total stranger like me.

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Rainfordson

On 04/03/2009 05:26 AM, Jim Rainfordson sent:

Thank you for the update, /That/ is our reward.

Pete

Reply to
1PW

Schluter had written this in response to

formatting link
: This way I can use a wireless laptop, but disable the wireless feature when I don't want it broadcasted.

Reply to
Schluter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.