Can I connect a bigger antenna to a repeater?

receiving/retransmitting

If you use a directional (uni) then you may not pick up your AP signal (of course depending on which direction your aiming it). If you put to high of a gain antenna it tends to flatten the signal so it may not reach as far down into the second floor. Think of a donut after steppin on it. If the 6 dbi covers the second and first floor good then I see no reason why not putting one on the repeater. It would probably allow you to move it a bit further down the hall. And yes, the gain is for both transmit and recieve.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I have a D-Link G router with a D-Link 6dB omnidirectional antenna connected to a cable modem on one end of the second floor. I have a D-Link G repeater halfway down the hall on the second floor.

The reception has to take place on the entire first floor. This is a business with the wiring closet at one end of the second floor, so the router cannot be relocated.

The signal is weak on the opposite end of the first floor. I want to connect another omnidirectional or unidirectional antenna to the repeater that is halfway down the hall on the second floor.

Is this a good idea? Will the antenna help in receiving/retransmitting the signal at the repeater? If so, should it be omni or uni? Any other ideas?

Reply to
Jorabi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.