Bridging to 'remote' LAN--AND accepting wireless notebooks, all with WPA

Hi, my "new" house has only one working phone jack, which the DSL modem comes in on. However my network of three PCs is in another room, and stringing an ethernet cable from the LAN switch to the router plugged into the DSL modem is not an option. I also have 2 wireless notebooks. So here's what I'm trying to do. It seems stupid simple, over two weeks and several products, have yet to come close to accomplishing it. Now I'm thinking of ordering two D-Link WAPs that can do WAP, client, PtP, PtMP, and repeater--and give that a shot. But I read on their FAQs that "wireless distribution" mode, they can't to WPA. Anyway, here's basically what I have now:

• One end: DSL modem > Netgear WGR614v5 802.11g router/WAP/switch (switch unused; encryption set to WPA-SPK).

• Other end (which I CANNOT string a wire from): three PCs on an ethernet switch.

• Two more "other" ends: 2 notebooks w/ 802.11b.

The wireless router by the DSL switch, and the ethernet switch creating the PC lan are only about 20 feet apart and within line-of-sight. Right now the notebooks connect to the netgear WAP just fine. Getting the PCs on the ethernet switch connected wirelessly is the tough part. Of course temporarily running an ethernet cable from the switch to the router does work. But for doing it wirelessly, I've tried a gaming adapter plugged into the uplink port of the LAN switch, and more recently a D-Link bridge (DWL-G810). Neither worked. In hindsight it seems unlikely they would with that kind of configuration (pushing traffic from multiple PCs without a NAT router). But I couldn't even get the DWL-G810 to work plugged into just one PC's NIC, while one notebook also worked. (Could get either to work if the other was off, but not both at the same time.) But that isn't really my main problem, since I don't care if that way works or not--just included it in case it's relevant.

The challenge seems to be that I not only want to create a wireless bridge from a router plugged into the DSL modem to a "remote" switched LAN, but also want to connect wireless notebooks to the DSL modem/router. Seems like I'd need a WAP at the DSL modem/router end, the two notebooks, and a bridge on the LAN side--where the bridge and the WAP don't mind traffic from multiple PCs travelling over one wireless connection. (What "mode" would that be?)

It seems like two D-Link WAPs might do it, since they support WAP, PtP, PtMP, client, and repeater mode. Surely one of those might do the trick, no? But their FAQ specifically states that in "wireless distribution mode", (not sure which of the five types that applies to), it doesn't support WPA--which I need because I'm in a very dense high-tech area and have very sensitive data and am very paranoid.

Any ideas on how to bring this all together, and/or anyone actually successfully doing the same thing? I do have a Netgear RT311 router with no wireless and which is more than suitable for firewall tasks, that I could plug the DSL into one side and a WAP into the other (in which case I'd throw my WGR614 away--hate that thing anyway).

One more far less important question: anyone know how adding the extra wireless hop affects online gaming latency? I do gaming on the weekends. Stringing a cable directly for a few hours is feasible, but if the additional lag via 802.11g (or bonded "108mbps" G) is only a few milliseconds, I'd stick with the wireless for good.

BTW, signal strengths are excellent as nothing is very far apart, and I can and may also invest in multiple high-gain antennas.

Thanks, Bob Himes

Reply to
hubcap_himes
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure what you are saying. But if you are trying to get the wireless router with DLS to the other network. You just need a wireless network cars in one on the other wired network and share the connection threw the computer to the wired network,"ICS".

Reply to
Ed Williams

Then you are understanding what I'm saying fairly well. However, "ICS" is not an option, because not all PCs will be on at all times, and my requirement is 1) an "always-on", reliable hardware solution, not a software solution [and DEFINITELY not one based on Windows!], 2) a solution that is transparent to all PCs, and 3) only one layer of NAT.

I do not nor cannot have two layers of NAT. The first NAT layer is at the router connected to the DSL modem, right? The second, by your recomendation, would be at the PC in "ICS" mode acting as a NAT router.

Maybe this "diagram" below might help. These devices do not have to be independent. For example, right now, the [2.router] and [3.WAP...] are one and the same device, but are of course logically two different things. I can and will buy all new gear if necessary to make this work. Seems simple enough, I can't imagine there is no solution out there--that can also do WPA. Below is a logical diagram. Each LOGICAL (not necessarily physical) device is noted inside brackets and with a preceeding number for the sake of identification in discussion. (e.g. "[ID.device]".) The "=" signs represents hardwired ethernet cables.

[1.DSL modem]===[2.router]===[3.*WAP/bridge/some magical device* superG or MIMO]

(magic happens through the air at and/or between points 3 and 4)

[4.*bridge/some magical device* superG or MIMO]===[5.standard ethernet switch]===[6.pc1], [7.pc2], [8.pc3] (individual wires to each PC from switch not shown) [9.notebook1 w/ 802.11b] [10.notebook2 w/ 802.11b]

So you see what I've got? The DSL modem and router and WAP are an isolated cluster. The LAN is another isolated cluster. I need a hardware-based solution that is transparent to the PCs that bridges the two--AND allows the two isolated notebooks to connect inside the firewall wirelessly. This is the main architectural challenge I'm trying to solve and really need help on. WHAT are the devices at points 3 and 4 that will allow this to happen? OR is there some other topology (or is that topography?) that could accomplish the same thing?

I realize this might be a little easier if the ethernet switch for the LAN was also a NAT router--but for interet-to-PC routing purposes, this is prohibitively complex.

(And to potentially complicate matters more, is the fact that I need higher-speed "super-G" or MIMO for the "bridge", and for the WAP to also work simultaneously with 802.11*b* clients. And for everything to use WPA throughout.)

Thanks! Bob

Reply to
hubcap_himes

Consider 2 wap's in bridge mode, one to be plugged into the DSL Modem, and the second's output will then look like the dsl output, but bridged to the office area (something like 20-30 ft away), and then one single wap/router in your computer room, wan input from the bridge output (actually the DSL modem with the equivalent of a cable, but wireless since you are bridging wirelessly), replacing the router in your office with a wap/router, but the WAP part allows the laptops to access the wired network, while the router part links your wired to the wireless and creates a two segment network (one wired and one wireless).

Forget the super-g/super high speed wireless 108 rather than 54... Your DSL modem will only run way SLOWER than even 802.11b! The 54 of regular G will be way way more speed than the dsl can provide (maybe 3 or 4 max). Hint.. 54 is a bigger number than 4.

Reply to
Peter Pan

hubcap snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

There are two issues here which are related:

1. How to bridge to a remote Ethernet segment
  2. What encryption will work

To create a wireless bridge from an access point to an Ethernet segment requires a transparent bridge which will support multiple MAC addresses. Most devices which can do this are implementations of Wireless Distribution System (WDS), which is described in IEEE

802.11, but not in unambiguous detail. For this reason, WDS implementations can and do differ, not only between manufacturers, but also between devices from the same manufacturer! [Aside: There is however an IEEE task group which will sort this out in due course. IIRC it's 802.11s]

WDS implementations are found in so-called 'gaming bridges' and in multi-mode access points, where WDS is used in Repeater mode and in Wireless Client (AP Client) mode.

To do what I understand you to want, you need either a 'gaming bridge' or a multi-mode access point configured in Wireless Client mode.

While it's entirely possible that a D-Link device will act as a wireless client to your Netgear wireless router, for the reasons above I suggest you stick to Netgear kit.

In a WDS implementation, the MAC frames have four address fields. These are used for:

- Destination Address (DA) - final destination

- Source Address (SA) - original sender

- Receiver Address (RA) - intermediate receiver

- Transmitter Address (TA) - intermediate transmitter

This allows for multiple 'hops' between devices. However, these multiple MAC address fields can cause serious confusion when WPA-PSK is used, since (part of) the key is derived from the MAC address. For this reason, WPA-PSK using TKIP does not (generally) work across WDS links, and you will be limited to WEP.

I said 'generally': I am aware of two WDS implementations which do claim to work with WPA-PSK. These are the Apple Airport Express, and the Linksys WRT54G running third party Sveasoft firmware.

Is anybody doing this? Well, I am - using D-Link DWL-900AP+ devices. I can confirm that WPA-PSK does not work, and that WEP does. If you want to try a higher speed D-Link device, then the DWL-2100AP will also do the job, but I can't guarantee it will work with your Netgear

- you'll have to test it...

An overview of some WDS issues can be found in this article:

formatting link

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

AFAIK, the only products currently capable of doing WDS with WPA are Apple's AirPort base stations (Extreme and Express). They can also handle clients while doing WDS, although this obviously imposes a performance penalty.

If you anticipate heavy network use by several of your five computers at the same time, I suggest you rethink the option of installing an Ethernet cable (or a phone jack near the wired computers) now, before you spend money experimenting with wireless hardware. Wireless is a great convenience, but it often disappoints those who expect it to be a complete substitute for wire.

Reply to
Neill Massello

hi, here's what I'd do: get a coupla access points capable of running in "bridge" mode; Most D-Link APs, Engenius/Senao APs are capable of this. Connect one AP/Bridge to the LAN port of your Netgear wireless router. Connect the other AP/Bridge to one of the ports on your switch (that has the 5 PCs) configure the bridges to talk to each other(enter one's mac address into the other). make sure the 5 PCs are in the same network segment as the LAN side of the Netegear (same IP address range). Enable WEP between the two bridges. I havent seen a bridge do WPA (cos they arent supposed to) with the other. Dont bother with WDS because it involves a massive degradation in throughput.

Reply to
outbackwifi

computers at

before

According to the manual the Zyxel G-402 bridge will do wpa-psk. It will handle multiple macs. About 110.00 each though you might find them cheaper.

Reply to
Airhead

applies

paranoid.

Meant G-405

>
Reply to
Airhead

"wireless

SMC claims to have the first bridge to support wpa SMC2870W about

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks that seems like a reasonable solution. Sounds like alot of airwave traffic though, but hey, if it works why not.

I'm not real clear on what WDS is. Is there any short explanation of why this would ever be needed and why it degrades performance (I'm otherwise pretty tech savvy so I should 'get' the short story).

Bob

outbackwifi wrote: hi, here's what I'd do: get a coupla access points capable of running in "bridge" mode; Most D-Link APs, Engenius/Senao APs are capable of this. Connect one AP/Bridge to the LAN port of your Netgear wireless router. Connect the other AP/Bridge to one of the ports on your switch (that has the 5 PCs) configure the bridges to talk to each other(enter one's mac address into the other). make sure the 5 PCs are in the same network segment as the LAN side of the Netegear (same IP address range). Enable WEP between the two bridges. I havent seen a bridge do WPA (cos they arent supposed to) with the other. Dont bother with WDS because it involves a massive degradation in throughput.

Reply to
hubcap_himes

Never mind on the WDS question--I failed to follow Richard Perkins WDS link. (Thanks for that.)

Reply to
hubcap_himes

Why would the super-G stuff be slower than B? I know the actual data rate wouldn't really be "108 mbps". But isn't it still 2 bonded G channels? Why would that be slower than one B channel? Are you thinking that the compression adds extra overhead? Very curious--myself I don't know which is correct.

Also, anyone know if D-Link's "MIMO" G products work in their previous product's "Super-G" mode with compression and frame burst and all that stuff? Their specs don't say, other than to suggest it's 108mbps..

Peter Pan wrote: .... Forget the super-g/super high speed wireless 108 rather than 54... Your DSL modem will only run way SLOWER than even 802.11b! The 54 of regular G will be way way more speed than the dsl can provide (maybe 3 or 4 max). Hint.. 54 is a bigger number than 4.

Reply to
hubcap_himes

I meant to say "anyone know if D-Link's "MIMO" G products work *WITH* their previous products in 'Super-G' mode with compression and frame burst and all that stuff?"

Reply to
hubcap_himes

You didn't read it very carefully... I said DSL/CABLE is WAY slower than any B/G/SuperG. Why bother with superg at 108 when you are limited to 3 or 4 on the dsl/cable? For that matter G at 54 is way more/faster than 3-4. Even B at 11 is a bigger number than 3-4. You will be limited by the slowest connection/smallest number, so what possible good is having a 108 connection to a 3-4 dsl/cable connection? it will NEVER be more than the slower connection/smallest number. I don't understand why anyone would think that hmmmm I'll get a 108 connection on my dsl/cable if I buy this certain manufacturers product. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY POSITIIVELY FALSE! You can NEVER EVER EVER speed up a cable/dsl connection just because you get something with a bigger number!

Reply to
Peter Pan

absolutely not. Won't work with other manufacturers stuff either.

Reply to
Peter Pan

hubcap snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'll answer anyway I think...

1. Wireless networking (including what WDS and other distribution systems are) is explained quite well in IEEE 802.11. Although standards documents are generallypretty heavy going, IEEE 802.11 is well worth skimming through if only for the diagrams in Section 5.2. Get a copy from here:
    formatting link
  2. WDS itself doesn't degrade performance: trying to do two things at once when using a single radio does. And consumer class devices have only a single radio. That means that a single-radio repeater must first listen, then re-transmit. It can't do both at once, so the bandwidth is reduced by half.

Note that it's entirely possible - indeed simple - to have a repeater with two radios: simply connect a wireless client back-to-back to an access point.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Peter Pan, why do you assume I "didn't read carefully"? In fact it is yourself making the some pretty rotten assumptions.

First of all, you don't know what kind of DSL I have--you have clearly just ASSUMED I have regular "consumer"-grade DSL.

Secondly, you have completely disregarded internal network transfers--a big mistake considering I already stated I have three other PCs and two notebooks. I have extremely large media files that I regularly transfer back and forth. I can put up with slow wireless transfers for the few times that I transfer such files that way, but will make whatever investment is required within reason to get the fastest transfer speeds possible over the air.

A few % better or worse won't matter much, but two bonded G channels, to me, sounds like it would be a heck of alot faster than one B channel. Call me crazy (as you essentially already have on false assumptions).

I might also point out that YOU haven't read MY posts very well--to throw your rediculous "accusation" back at you. I already said I know that super-G isn't really "108mbps". But from what I've read on Tom's Networking, they usually get about 40mbps actual data throughput on that stuff. Call me crazy, but that sounds alot better than *3* mbps, which is the best data throughput I have ever personally acheived in reality on single B channel products.

Thanks...Bob

Peter Pan wrote:

connection? it

product. THAT

Reply to
hubcap_himes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.