3com 3CRWDR100A - Problem with wireless

Hi there,

I am sure someone else has had this problem before. I looked on Google but I did not manage to find a solution.

The router is a 3com Office Connect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router.

When the encryption is on and two computers connect to the router, the first one can surf the internet normally, but the second one cannot. If I disable the encryption everything works fine.

Any idea why that is happening?

Thanks,

Ivam

Reply to
I'Mad
Loading thread data ...

Sure. It's been answered about 10 times in the last year but because the descriptions vary each time, it's difficult to find with Google Groups.

The problem is the translation for an ASCII WEP key to a Hexadecimal WEP key. There are two algorithms for doing this. Different manufacturers support one or the other. Some support a mixture. Windoze Wireless Zero Config only supports one algorithm. The easy solution is to NOT use an ASCII WEP key. Use a Hexadecimal WEP key and it will work on both laptops. Yes, I know it's a pain to type in

26 Hex digits, but cut and paste should make that painless.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So much for that idea. I didn't understand your problem.

Apparently, something is wrong with either the routeing or DHCP. In order to determine the problem, I need to know what your computers are getting for IP addresses. Could you disclose:

Computer A IP Address: Gateway Address:

Computer B IP Address: Gateway Address:

Assume that computer A is the first to connect. If your two machines get addresses of 192.168.1.xx and the gateway IP is 192.168.1.1, then DHCP is working and something else must be wrong.

If computer A gets a routeable IP addresses, similar to one delivered by your ISP, and computer B ends up on 169.254.xxx.xxx, then you have your DSL or cable modem plugged into the LAN port of the router and not the WAN(internet) port on the router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is slightly different. I am already using the HEX WEP Key type.

If I only connect to the router (wireless) computer A or B, that computer manages to surf the Internet normally. If I connect to the router computer A and then computer B, computer A can surf normally, but computer B cannot, even if it got an IP address from the router.

The same happens if computer B connects firts and then computer A does. Computer B will surf normally, but computer A will not be able to do it.

There is not traffic at all from/to that computer.

Ivan

Reply to
I'Mad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.