DHCP over VPN

Hello, I am kinda stuck here and i thought i could maybe get some help from this newsgroup. What i am trying to do is this. I have a sonicwall pro

200 firewall at my office, i have 2 netgear fvs318 vpn routers at 2 remote locations. I have the VPN already working between the 2 fvs318 boxes as per netgears default setup instructions. Now what i want to do is have the netgear's connect to the sonicwall at my office.(this part i can handle) HOWEVER the part i am having problem with is this, how do i configure the sonicwall and netgear's so the clients behind the netgear's routers pull their ip address via dhcp from the sonicwall OVER THE VPN. I know alot of people will tell me "isnt that going to result in excess broadast traffic" I know that objection, But we still want to go forward with this as it stands.
Reply to
mikeyc
Loading thread data ...

The trick is to setup DHCP forwarding or DHCP relay in the remote device (Netgear). If the Netgear is not capable of this then you may have trouble. The Netgear will catch the broadcast packets and forward them to the destination IP that you would need to configure if you have this option in your router. You will want to make sure your VPN tunnels are very stable before using this feature or your DHCP clients will not obtain an IP when the tunnel is down.

You may not be able to setup a DHCP pool on the Sonicwall that does not correspond to a physical device. I'm not sure if it's possible to configure these remote IP pools, I have only tried this using either a UNIX or Windows server as the DHCP server. None of the cheap devices I use can supply multiple pools of IP addresses from the built in DHCP server. It looks possible to setup multiple pools on the Nortel Contivity VPN router devices I use but I have never tried this kind of configuration using it as the server.

Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.