I think I understand, sort of, maybe, possibly [telecom]

***** Moderator's Note *****

I need a lawyer, Or a linguist, or a shaman, or a soothsayer. I need

*somebody* that can tell me what a "Modified Final Judgement" is, and why it's being done, and whether it should have been done, and if it is going to make any difference to we telephone users.

I need help.

Bill Horne Moderator

+--------------------------------------------------------------+

Defendants entered into an Agreement and Plan of Merger dated June 5,

2008, pursuant to which Verizon Communications Inc. ("Verizon") acquired Alltel Corporation ("Alltel"). Plaintiffs United States and the States of Alabama, California, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota ("plaintiff States") filed a civil antitrust Complaint on October 30, 2008, seeking to enjoin the proposed acquisition. As explained more fully in the Complaint, and the concurrently filed Competitive Impact Statement, the likely effect of this acquisition would have been to lessen competition substantially for mobile wireless telecommunications services in 94 Cellular Market Areas ("CMAs") in 22 states (1) where Verizon and Alltel were among the most significant competitors, in violation of Section 7 of the Clayton Act, 15 U.S.C. § 18. This loss of competition would have resulted in consumers in those areas facing higher prices, lower quality service and fewer choices of mobile wireless telecommunications services.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.