Worrisome Dmarc Wiring

I recently encountered a customer with a Dmarc and associated wiring that has me a little worried. Here is a photo of the area:

formatting link
I was standing in a pool of water when I took the photo (for some reason there are drainage issues on that side of the building). None the less, the amount of exposed wiring and the Telco's choice of location for the NIU for the customer's T1 data line are a bit frustrating. My worry is that weather (or someone with a pair of wire cutters) could do a significant amount of damage that could bring our operations down some day.

I already know I need to completely rewire from the Dmarc back to our wiring closet (the wiring is old and in much need of replacement after being weathered for so long), but I'd like to get all this taken care of in one shot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to remedy this situation?

Thanks.

Reply to
KyleAK
Loading thread data ...

This doesn't look too different than tens of thousands of other installations..

The NIU would be built for the weather.

Its all about how much you want to spend to get your peace of mind.

The ultimate would be to pay electricians/Qwest to move the demarc inside the building. This sort of job would probably start around $2-3k and go up from there though.

They'd probably want 4" conduit to go back to the handhole/manhole, and then you could move your arrestor block panel & NIU inside, and rewire it all.

Next level down would be to put your exposed wiring into some conduit. Electrician could probably do that for some $hundreds. Looks like the original electrician snuck the wire in around some water pipe, get some decent conduit through the wall and up to the panel.

The demarc is the responsibility of the building owner though, not Qwest..

If things are super critical though, you may want to think redundancy, although in this case, it might not make alot of sense.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I agree with doug. this is typical. get a piece of conduit and attatch it to the building. you should be able to find something at your local hardware store. I assume that your actual d'marc is the smaller box on top in the pix. is that a padlock i see.

Reply to
Rod H

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.