Leased line questions

Hi all,

Hi, I am trying to update my business plan for a company I will be starting with better information than "that sounds good." Can anyone answer any of these questions?

#1 What are ballpark monthly costs $USD for a high quality 43 megabit/ s leased private line between Chicago and Hong Kong through reputable telcos?

#2 If I establish a private line network including Chicago, San Francisco, Hong Kong, London, Berlin, Rio De Janeiro, Tokyo, and Bangladore, what is the approximate minimum number of reputable telcos I am going to have to deal with? In other words, to what degree do "global telcos" provide global coverage?

#3 Data traveling at the speed of light (by my calculations) would take about 42ms to travel from Chicago to Hong Kong. What is a realistic estimate of how long it would take a packet to travel that route over my leased private line? (I can't imagine how much equipment my packet passes through, or how much delay each piece of equipment adds.) Presumably it is going to be a lot faster than over the Internet.

#4 Suppose I have a customer in Hong Kong who is connected to a generic ISP. He is using my custom software on his PC to talk to my server in Chicago. Am I correct in assuming that it is impossible to make the Internet route his packets through my leased private line (which I would like to only allow traffic for my customers), because I have no control over the routers his packets will pass through?

Thanks! Greg

Reply to
Greg J.
Loading thread data ...

Don't know. Last DS3 cross-country I did from Chicago to a coast was $12,000 month, but that was some time ago.

I wouldn't expect any telco to provide that kind of coverage. If you start dealing directly with the submarine cable companies, they generally cover only certain areas, and only for hand off up to the LEC, which will take in incountry. They'll be some sort of multi-company dealings no matter what for that kind of coverage.

Light travels over fiber signifigantly slower than in a vacuum. Also, remember than when you "ping" something, you are seeing the transmit and return times.

I wouldn't expect a private inter-connect is going to be signifigantly different than the Internet path traffic takes to get to your destination over the public Internet. Afterall, the Internet links are using those same private links that you are planing on using. Internet routers, while adding some slight delay, are going to be insignifigant delays compared to the distances and delays compared to the light propagation around the world. Also, telco doesn't lay long distance runs in perfect direct links. Ie. Coming out of Chicago, the fiber probably heads south down to Kansas City first before heading out West to Seattle before the submarine cable to HK.

My cross-country DS3 link wasn't much different than Internet traffic back in the day, certainly not signifigantly different RTT times.

Thus, I'd do traceroutes from your location out to various places you are planning on going to. While I think I'm hitting Beijing and not HK with ping

formatting link
from the midwest, I'm getting a RTT of 236ms. Most likely a RTT over private links might get you down into the 210-220ms range.

You would have to have some sort of POP in HK with IP addresses BGP'd out of HK uplinks to the public Internet. If they hit your public IP address range out of Chicago, its going to go over the public Internet to reach you.

Thus, your private network will have to have interconnects at each public location you want to servce, buying Net bandwidth from that location at whatever rate...

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Not to sound presumptuous, but what would be the downfall of having a dedicated high-speed connection out of Chicago and setting up site-to- site VPN's with your customers in Hong Kong and the other places? If the remote locations have centralized services then their customers in turn would connect to them, hit the site-to-site VPN tunnel and get to Chicago...

Reply to
gregarican

Yes, that is what I will have to do if general service over the Internet is not good enough (but it may be).

(Thanks, Doug, for your post!)

Reply to
Greg J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.