Inter-Tel Axxess Faxing

My apologies for this being so long, but I wanted to both ask a question and inform other potential customers of these problems.

My company uses an external Right Fax server for handling our fax routing. Until recently, we had been using phantom devices coupled with a hunt group composed of the internal fax numbers for forwarding the calls to our fax server. We have since run out of phantom devices (a concept which in and of itself I find ridiculous - the only reason to limit those devices is to milk out more money). We are now using their "Desktop Call Routing" software, as it was the only other option offered to us. This requires a dedicated endpoint, which in and of itself makes me nervous. Having all the faxes into the building depending on a single piece of hardware like this is horrid. Unfortunately, according to the documentation, "The phone system must also have Desktop Interface enabled for the keyset attached to the PC running the application. The attached keyset must have a PCDPM with the ribbon cable connected to a serial port of the PC." So in effect, we are bound to using a telephone with an added serial jack to be able to do our fax routing.

Now that I'm done with my complaint / informing other users of this problem, my question is this: Is there any way around this situation, either through Inter-Tel or a third party?

Reply to
timbrigham
Loading thread data ...

Can you translate this into English and repost?

Fax servers are pretty simple. You get a number of ports for X amount of $$ and the server routes according to the digits received or some other keywords in the fax. Outbound faxing is a matter of interfacing to your e-mail client, Microsoft Office, a standalone client, or web access, again usually based on the number of users. The phone system doesn't even enter into it, unless you are trunking the DID calls to the server and that takes 1-x number of ports.

So how or why does Intertel care about the Keyset and PC, you attach your PC to the network, run the app and go. In an analog environment, the TR-114 series of P4C boards give you 2 DID and 2 Loop start ports which connect to the trunks of your CO and DID ports. You connect them up, plug in the power supply, configure the server and it might work.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

How many FAX lines are we talking here? It sounds like you are going about this the wrong way unless I'm majorly misunderstanding you. Maybe you should have your FAX lines come in seperately than the phone system if this is alot of different lines/numbers? Or break them out ahead of the phone system with whatever type of call director box is needed for your incoming lines?

If you want incoming FAXes to be directed internally for each user, have you looked at Inter-Tel's Unified Messaging? It has some outbound capabilities, although you need to use Outlook as a client to do that. Otherwise, if a voice-mail user gets a FAX, it'll take over and suck the FAX in and email it off to the voice-mail box owner as a TIFF.. Some callers get a little confused if they start hearing a voice on their FAX before the data kicks in.

If you have Phantom devices, then you must be running v9 software.. That all supports TCP/IP networking fully, although not having Desktop Call Routing, I don't know if that software does. That would do away with the PCDPM and serial ports, and just do networking, although in my experience, phone guys don't understand one iota of networking what-so-ever. All they understand is hardwire lines, including serial ports. Even if you do get a networking guy, all they ever know is windows. Makes you roll your own solutions in a shop where only half the desktops are windows..

You don't give alot of details of what you want, just the details of what your phone vendor is proposing to you for the solution. What do you want?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

OK.. I have a RightFax server utilizing 4 ports. All of our DID numbers come in on a T1, which is connected to our AXXESS phone switch. We have an analog card installed in the AXXESS which we have Brooktrout card in the fax server connected to. There are 100 DID numbers routed to those 4 fax lines.

Simply forwarding the numbers in the phone system software doesn't work because the original incoming line doesn't show. We need a method for the DID information to be forwarded to the fax server without using phantom devices.

We use the Unified Messaging but want to keep our current fax solution in place.

Reply to
timbrigham

Well, the chance of you using a Mitel 3300 as a tandem switch is probably pretty thin :-)

Is it possible to set the PRI trunk to tandem out on another trunk group? That would only require you to change out the Brooktrout boards to P4C's and set the server's DID trunks to no wink, immediate start, DTMF. Now the InterTel would route the call to a tandem trunk group, and send the captured DID digits to the fax server.

Of course, someone with a lot more skill than I would be able to set up an Asterisk PBX with 4 FXS and 2 PRI's and strip the fax calls out of the PRI group and forward the trunk calls to the InterTel. Or not.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.