Inter-Tel Phones through Cable/DSL?

Hi everyone, I am new to our office (been here about 3 months) and have been quickly learning all about the Company's Inter-Tel phone system that they installed in Nov 04'.

Our company has a converged system so our main office (which houses the system) uses RJ11 wire to the 50+ phones that are in this office. We also have 3 branch offices that use the IP version of the same phone we have in our main office (Model 8520). We have a MPLS VPN that connects our Headquarters to each remote office, so each branch office has a T1 line running between them and our HQ.

As the system is set up now we can 3-digit dial any extension regardless of where it is in the network. I am trying to persue the possibility of using a normal cable or DSL connection to have our phones connect to our system. I could have a phone at my house with my cable connection, and have my work extention ring at my house. ALso if salespeople traveled they could plug into a hotel's internet connection and have access to voicemail and their extention.

Is this possible?

We are also looking at the possibility of having cable connections supplied to each branch office which would be a better value as the cable connections provide about 4x as much speed for 1/4 the price of teh VPN lines.

If anyone has done this I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks, and I appoligize for the lenghtly post.

- Andrew

Reply to
Beholder
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.