How to detect disconnected numbers?

Hi

I'm working for a social research firm that dials random numbers from the phone book. At least 1 in 5 are disconnected, and I'm told there is a way to electronically detect disconnected numbers without waiting for the recorded message.

I'm a database programmer, so I don't know much about telcos, but I'm guessing that either there is a different impedance across the pair when the exchange answers, or an inaudible frequency that indicates whether or not a number is live. That's all I can think of.

Someone solved this once before for my boss when he was at another company, but their code is proprietory, so I have to start again. I hope someone can help.

TIA Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Jarret
Loading thread data ...

Gee, that's nice. I live with about 300 million other US residents who get pissed as hell when we get these phone calls.

How'd you like it if all the people you randomly dial got ahold of your phone numbers and called you back? How much would your boss like it?

Reply to
danny burstein

Yeah, but at least he's not in the U.S.

Gordon, here we use 3 distinct tones called SIT tones to indicate a non-working number and random number dialing is illegal in most, if not all, states.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

In Carl Navarro writes: [ snip ]

yabbut, he's also a hypocrite. Here he's talking about making annoyance calls, yet he's got a spam-blocked address in his post.

Alas, (no) thanks to the best Congress money can buy, "non profit" research/polling calls (along with calls from politicians...) are exempt from most of the "do not call" regs.

Reply to
danny burstein

In the social research industry, we do understand that some people either have no opinion, or do not wish to express it. That's fine. We hope though, that when you refuse to tell us what you think about for example, health or defence policy, that you forfeit your right to complain when the actions of government agencies are contrary to your wishes.

At the ballot box, you only get to choose a candidate. It is only through social research that you get to tell the candidate what you want them to do.

This thread has apparently ceased to have anything to do with telecoms, and I will not be further drawn on comments not relevant to my question.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Jarret

Once again, how would you feel if the 50,000 or so people you called up... decided to call _you_ up at your home.

checkmate.

Reply to
danny burstein

Get trunkside access, not line side. In a few words, that means PRI access. Not to worry; you'd need that anyhow for any volume of calls. If the telco consultants you hire don't know how to do this, replace them.

Reply to
David Lesher

You're completely, and deliberately, missing the point. The problem is that you're telephonically imposing on people without their consent. Nobody here but you cares about the reasons why you do that to your victims.

The fact that you're dodging that criticism with snake oil means to me that you --and, by extention, your company you willingly work for and the industy you work in-- are dishonourable.

This is just plain flamebait. Australia is supposedly a representative democracy, and that representation should *not* be outsourced to phone spamming scum. You are painting yourself into importance you clearly cannot be trusted with.

You've done that yourself with above flamebait. But then, since all spammers are stupid, you apparently had to assert you are a spammer.

Reply to
jpd

Thanks David

I'd be grateful if you'd elaborate on PRI access. We have over 80 seats, and our own 4 digit prefix, and make at least 15,000 calls a day. I'm basically databases, user interfaces and networking. Our telco consultants (based overseas) seem to have no idea what I'm asking.

Cheers Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Jarret

Here in the US, it is easy to contact our elected officials by phone (see, it's on topic), postal mail, web site, and usually e-mail. If we have something to say, we know where to find them.

Australia must have a very peculiar political structure if the only way to contact your representatives is via pollsters.

R's, John

Reply to
John L

I was labouring under the misapprehension that this was a forum for adult telecoms professionals. Clearly, it is merely an online kindergarten. I will not awaken you from your rest period again.

Reply to
Gordon Jarret

I know zip about AU telco internals, but basically, "lines" talk from a switch to a phone. Trunks talk between two switches.

Lines signal status via loop current and DTMF and ringing [100+ VAC at 20 hz here] while trunks pass status via various protocols; depending on the kind. Primary Rate Access is an ISDN trunk. It has a data channel back to your switchboard; the call status is part of the data.

You will need whoever sold you your phone switch to be involved. They will know how to get such data out.

Reply to
David Lesher

Be honest, John; it's easy to talk to our elected offical's staff; but getting the Member to actually listen is FAR harder....

Reply to
David Lesher

Meet Mr. Benjamin and his friends.

Reply to
danny burstein

Hi David

Thanks for your advice. Tracking down an AU telco engineer is surprisingly difficult. Optus, our telco, has outsourced everything to India, where they have no understanding of what I'm trying to achieve.

Telstra, a former government body which still owns all the infrastucture including the local loop, refuses to discuss lines that are now part of an Optus account.

You've given me some ideas to try with a multimeter and signal generator. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Many Thanks, Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Jarret

Stop dialing random numbers. If some one wants to hear from your company, they will give your company the number.

Reply to
Dana

What an unbelievably stupid and ignorant comment from someone with so little self-esteem that they are afraid to take advantage of the opportunity to influence government policy.

Reply to
Gordon Jarret

Hire someone who does know. You are wasting your time otherwise. This is akin to trying to use that multimeter to rebuild an engine on the Ghan....

Reply to
David Lesher

Just because you do not want some idiots calling you at your home, you do not lose any right to complain about government action or inaction. That is the whole basis of democracy. But that does not mean that some people have the right to bother people at home. If you want to do social surveys, go to public places where people congregate, and take your surveys there.

And you can also vote on social issues, like preventing homosexuality from being forced on the culture.

You represent and are working for a group that is out to infinge on the privacy of others.

Reply to
Dana

The above comment, from someone who purports to have such weighty influence on Australian government policy, explains much of what was previously mysterious about the workings of said nation's government.

-- Mark --

formatting link
does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply to
Mark Crispin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.