USA: "Data" SIMM Card That Does Not Expire? [telecom]

Full Disclosure: I have a legacy tMobile prepaid account and it's working for me: nets out to about $.10 per minute.... I buy $100 worth of minutes every so often, and they roll over year-after-year.... Maybe there's better out there, but this one is good enough and I am familiar with it....

But it lacks data.

I am thinking about getting one of the Huawei phones that takes 2 or more SIMM cards, staying with tMob, and supplementing it with a "Data" SIMM card.

I think my only "Musts" for a phone are that it accepts a 256-gig external SD card and allows use of a stylus (for TeamViewer-ing into big-screen PCs).

A user-replaceable battery is a strong "Want".

The idea being that when I'm out and around, I want the ability to log into Lyft or Uber in case I need a ride home.

So: infrequent, occasional use.

Seems like break even on the new phone vs going over to a monthly plan with data is somewhere around a year or 18 months depending... so I like the new phone.

But I'm too cheap to go for a "Data" SIMM that expires.... I want rollover like the tMob SIMM.

Anybody found such a plan?

Better choices for the phone?

Other thoughts/suggestions?

Reply to
Pete Cresswell
Loading thread data ...

There are LG handsets I've seen, the Stylo 2 and Stylus 2, that

(a) feature a removable battery; (b) use a true PalmTreo-like Pointy stylus; (c) have a microSD card slot good for up to 256 and 128 GB, respectively; (d) are available in both GSM and Verizon flavors; (e) come in both single SIM and dual SIM models; (f) screen is a full 720 x 1280 px^2 size.

Reviews are mixed. I've never owned one. The very few owners I know of are happy with theirs, but for the camera, which "could be better," they say.

If you go with a Verizon-branded version, you can get a good price for infrequent, low-volume, data service from Page Plus Cellular: they have an activation scheme whereby a $10 PIN delivers you up to 120 days worth of account availability, with 50 cents being drawn out of your balance once a month, domestic airtime for voice (in or out) running you 10 cents per minute, SMSes running you 5 cents apiece, and data (in or out) getting charged at something fairly outrageous (like maybe 10 cents per MB).

You refill whenever you run low enough, or by day # 120 since last refill; any unused credit *remains* available to you upon refilling. I've never needed to replenish my balance before the 120-day deadline, and, over the years, my available credit has steadily grown from a few bucks to several dozen bucks.

If you go fully GSM, otoh, you may find that putting your current legacy T-Mo prepaid SIM and a suitable prepaid data SIM into a dual-SIM LG handset leaves you better off than adding a Verizon handset to the T-Mo handset currently in your arsenal.

As to the difference(s) between Stylo 2 and Stylus 2? I have no clue!

Anyway, you may well have many other options as well :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.