Re: Caller ID on Home Phones Using Vonage Originating From Cell Phones

I have Vonage. This is a newbie question. I have caller ID on a new

> set of phones I bought at home (Uniden CLX-485). When someone calls me > from their home or business phone it displays the name and the number > perfectly. > When they call me from their cell phone it only displays the number > and the name defaults to "Wireless Caller". While I have them in my > phonebook on my home phone, it does not use that to look up the name. > Is this somewhat normal? No name displayed on home callerid from a > cell phone caller? Most people in my area use Verizon Wireless. > Thanks, > Patty > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Do not be embarassed about being a > 'newbie'; all of us were at one time or another. The behavior you > describe is quite common with cell phones. My one cell phone here > faithfully tells everyone that "Cell Phone, Illinois" is calling > when I ring them but it does give the correct number. My other cell > phone gives the correct name and number. It depends on the type of > arrangements the cellular carrier makes with the wireline company. > It also depends on how the landline telco deals with inter-lata (or > between telephone company areas) calls whether or not the name is > available. It does not matter if home or business; caller ID does > its own thing. PAT]

Many of the wireless carriers don't send the full data over their SS7 network, the same can go for callers on a landline from other areas. The Sprint PCS network sends it all, but unless the number is in my phone book it only shows the number.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.