Vonage - expandable phones

Hi, I just signed up for Vonage and realize I have a problem. My cable modem is only on the second floor of my house, but I want a phone on the first floor too. I was told by Vonage that I could buy an "expandable cordless phone" that doesn't need to have the phone line (or cable modem) plugged directly into it, but just needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet. Can someone offer advice on a good model that will do this? Also, how is this phone receiving the signal? Will it work with my existing cordless phone on the second floor, or do I need to buy at least two new cordless phones for this to all work?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
RH Harris
Loading thread data ...

Your choices are:

1. Put a splitter on the POTS output of the Vonage adapter and run a pair from it to where you want the second instrument to be.

1. Use a cordless phone system which permits multiple handsets working off one base station. RatShack and other sell them.
    formatting link
    ?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F004%5F004%5F002&Page=1

1. Pull the connection at the ILEC demarc to telco, and connect the Vonage adapter to the house wiring, then attach instruments to the old house wiring.

See option 2 above.

Through the ether (i.e., radio).

Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on what your existing cordless is, which you cunningly neglected to state.

Reply to
yeltrabnhoj

Ah grasshopper - is there not a phone jack in the room with the cable modem? If so - just disconnect the telco side of the NID in the basement or on the outside and plug the POTS side of your VoIP router into that.

Reply to
Tony P.

It's funny how that never occurs to people. For some reason, they think of jacks as one way only.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

The danger, particularly if you are in a multiple unit residence, is that somebody, probably the phone company, will see it and plug it back in. This is likely to prove ungood. You are probably better off to disconnect it on your side of the NID and tape and tag it. I would label it something other than what it is to avoid sabotage.

Reply to
John McHarry

That's why you tape it off and tag it with neon colors. Sabotage would be a violation of FCC and PUC rules as well as a criminal act.

Reply to
Tony P.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.