PA-PUC Announces 272 as Overlay to 570 Area Code [telecom]

On Wednesday 21-July-2010, I wrote in "PA-PUC Approves Overlay to 570 Area Code":

The Pennsylvania-PUC has unanimously approved (5-0) an OVERLAY for the > 570 area code region in north-central and north-eastern Pennsylvania. > The PA-PUC had actually approved the overlay last week, on Thursday > 15-July-2010. There is a Press Release at the PA-PUC's website: > >

formatting link

and there are media reports at various local area radio/TV/newspaper > websites. > > The PA-PUC's press release indicates that the new overlay area code > will be needed by 3-Q/2011, and hopes that the telco industry will > have the overlay implemented by 01-March-2011. At present, 7-digit > dialing is still possible for local intra-570 calls, so there will > have to be what is probably going to be an expedited transition to > mandatory ten-digit intra-570 local dialing. > > [ ... ] > > The new area code digits are NOT indicated at this current PA-PUC > press release of Thursday 15-July-2010 ... > > ... but my *GUESS* is that 272 will be the new overlay area code.

Today, Friday 30-July-2010, the PA-PUC is now reporting that 272 is indeed going to be the overlay relief area code for the existing 570 area code.

formatting link
Radio/TV/Newspaper/etc. media/press/news websites are also now reporting

272 as the relief overlay area code, per the PA-PUC announcement.

NeuStar-NANPA's "Planned NPAs Not Yet in Service" webpage,

formatting link
indicates 272 as the forthcoming overlay to 570 in Pennsylvania. Actually, the page at NANPA's website was referencing 272 for 570 since last week, as early as Wednesday 21-July-2010 (maybe even earlier?), but it was only today that the PA-PUC and subsequently the press/media (radio/TV/newspapers/etc) first publicly announced that 272 is to be the new area code.

[ ... ] > > The other two area codes in Pennsylvania (both dating back to the > official "origins" of the NANP/Area Code Format of October 1947), > have also had area code "relief" planning by the telco industry and > regulatory. 814 for northwestern PA and western south-central PA, and > also 717 which is still retained by eastern south-central PA following > the 717/570 split of 1998/99 -- both have relief petitions pending > before the PA-PUC, overlays area requested in both cases by the telcos. > No indication of when the PA-PUC will make any kind of announcements > as to split vs. overlay (overlays are likely), and obviously not the > codes themselves, but my *GUESS* is for: > > 582 as the relief code for 814, > and 223 to overlay 717.
[ ... ]

I expect that NeuStar-NANPA and/or the PA-PUC will announce the actual

> code digits for the overlay to 570, within another several weeks, and > as mentioned above, my *GUESS* is that 272 will be the overlay. Also, > I tend to think that the PA-PUC will be making their split vs. overlay > decisions and subsequent announcements on 814 and 717 later this year, > in Fall 2010.

Well, NANPA was reflecting 272 on the "Planned NPAs Not Yet in Service" webpage since as early as Wednesday 21-July-2010, and now (today, Friday

30-July-2010) it is being announced by the PA-PUC and news/press/media sources as well.

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA pre-Katrina

Reply to
Mark J. Cuccia
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.