Windows area code rules [Telecom]

When I was running W2K, ISTR that somewhere under control panel here was an "area code rules" setting that allowed me to list a few area codes, and then say "Calling to all other area codes, dial a '1' and the area code first.

Now in XP pro, I can't find it. It wants me to enter each area code individually, then for THAT area code, dial a '1' and the area code first.

Could someone please refresh my memory?

Reply to
Rich Greenberg
Loading thread data ...

Control Panel / Phone and Modem / Dialing Rules

Reply to
Robert Neville

Are there still places in the US where the switch won't complete the call if you dial a full 1-NXX-NXX-XXXX number?

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Eyup. I'm in one right now (Central Michigan). Some calls require a prepended "1", others hiccup if you use it.

Makes it easier to just use my cellphone...

Reply to
danny burstein

New Hampshire (or at least Manchester, NH) is one of them; for in-state (603) calls dialing the full number gets you an error recording.

As yet there are no new overlay area codes there.

Reply to
Herb Oxley

There's a reference in Wikipedia that states:

"Most areas permit local calls to be dialed as 1+10D except for Texas and some jurisdictions in Canada which require that callers know which numbers are local and which are toll, dialing 10D for all local calls and 1+10D for all toll calls."

I don't know how accurate that statement is. I took a quick look at the Texas PUC's telecommunications regulations web site, but didn't find anything.

In these days of flat rate minute buckets, the concept of toll alerting is rapidly becoming an anachronism.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Much of Oregon, including the densely-populated northern I-5 corridor, gets S-I-T tones if you dial 1 but it is not necessary. "We're sorry, it is not necessary to dial a 1 or a 0 when dialing this number. Will you please hang up and try your call again." Ten digits are mandatory state-wide. Most of the Portland area has Extended Area Calling (40 miles wide) which is unmetered for residential (included in flat monthly service) and metered for business (4 cents/minute outside the traditional neighboring exchanges.)

Reply to
John Reiser

Thanks Robert, but thats the first place I looked for it and I can't find anywhere to say "all other area codes". If you think its there, please give me the exact steps.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Sheesh. There's no overlays where I live (upstate NY, AC 607) either, but for at least a decade, permissive dialing of 1+10D always works, even for intra-NPA where 7D also works.

Since this is New York, we don't have any brain dead toll alerting, but even in places that do, it's hard to see what problems they think they're solving by forbidding 1+10D.

FYI, NANPA now estimates that 603 will be full in 2Q2011, but since their estimate has been moving out at roughly one quarter per quarter (e.g., last quarter they predicted it would be 1Q2011) I wouldn't worry just now.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

If I understand what you are asking, I think you need to reverse things. That is, you create a general rule that states for all calls to other area codes, you must dial a "1" before the area. This is your default rule listed as "My Location".

Then you edit "My Location" to create the exceptions. In the tab called "Area Code Rules", you list all the codes you do not want to dial "1" in front of. Presumably those would be for overlay codes, or nearby codes that are not long distance. You can even drill down farther, and specify specific prefixes in those codes that you do not dial "1" for.

Hope that's what you are looking for...

Reply to
Robert Neville

I do not bother with any of that stuff. I code each phone number in full, as it is needed to be coded.

Reply to
hancock4

Yes, thats what I want, and I would have thought it would be an automatic default, but some dialing errors in winfax made me think it doesn't.

That part I see, but I don't think its what I want. I have to do some more experimenting. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

In [Area Code] 203, any call deemed "local" from a POTS phone to a

203-NXX-XXXX number *must* be dialed as NXX-XXXX or it gets an interrupt message stating that requirement.

Cell phones are much more intelligent/forgiving in that regard.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.