Z Wave

Anyone using any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc???

Have a customer showing some interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell.

I have been using the z wave with honeywell total connect works well easy set up

Reply to
NickMark

any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing s ome interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell. I have been using the z wave with honeywe ll total connect works well easy set up

I don't use Honeywell and also I've got a real problem with these Mfg's try ing to get in on the recurring revenue wagon. Pisses me off that they feel as if it's ok for them to take income away from the people who buy and prom ote their products.

There are systems out there that use Z Wave Zigbe and other protocols that don't require having to pay the people that you're buy product from to prov ide you with a service that doesn't have to be provided by anyone because I T'S ALREADY FREE ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

But anyway ...... I'm just wondering how it compares to other powerline/RF protocols. Most other automation systems work most of the time but still ha ve their little "quirks" and fits of occasionally requiring you to push the on button again and sometimes again and then it doesn't happen for months.

Do you have any Z wave in your home? I always try stuff in my home first an d then I get to know it inside and out with all it's good ...... and bad fe atures. I've been using Insteon for a number of years and it's beginning to fail to operate more and more frequently. I haven't called them (Insteon) on it but I'm thinking it's time to try a newer technology. They just keep adding new components. I don't see any improvements in the transmission en d of it.

Reply to
Jim

you can use the z wave on the tuxedo keypad with out having total connect you just cant use them remotely

Reply to
NickMark

zigbee and z wave are not power line protocols there rf transmitters and superior to x 10 and the z wave and zigbee are a mesh system as well so you can get out as far as you like

Reply to
NickMark

any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing s ome interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell. zigbee and z wave are not power line prot ocols there rf transmitters and superior to x 10 and the z wave and zigbee are a mesh system as well so you can get out as far as you like

Yes, I Know ..... do you have a website that deals with a variety of z swit ches and modules etc.? All the alarm companys have are thermostats and door locks. There's got to be a lot more to the lighing control aspect of the p rotocol.

I'd be looking for multi-button light switches, push button controllers, Ap ps to control blinds and drop-down tv screens, lights, hot water heaters an d such.

But I'd rather set it up my self without having to pay some alarm equipment mfg for the privlege of using their product.

Reply to
Jim

look up leviton brand they have all kind of switches etc.

Reply to
NickMark

any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing s ome interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell. look up leviton brand they have all kind of switches etc.

OK, Thanks

Reply to
Jim

any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing s ome interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell. look up leviton brand they have all kind of switches etc.

I looked at Leviton and their prices are the highest of anyone else I looke d at. From past expeience, when the took on X10 .... they did the same thin g. They just took an existing technology and doing absolutely nothing to en hance it think that they can add 20% to the cost .... just because it has Leviton on the lable.

The ironic thing about them taking on HA type lighting control is that most electricians don't want a thing to do with it. Just like alarm systems. It 's too ingrained in the Electricians psyche to not do any kind of work that requires them to keep in contact with their customers for future work and service. Monitor a customers house????? Why would I want to do that? Why . ... that would mean I'd have to send them a bill every month!!!!

Shhhhhh! don't tell them ......

Reply to
Jim

g any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing some interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on th e way so now's the time to up-sell. I have been using the z wave with honey well total connect works well easy set up

rying to get in on the recurring revenue wagon. Pisses me off that they fee l as if it's ok for them to take income away from the people who buy and pr omote their products.

t don't require having to pay the people that you're buy product from to pr ovide you with a service that doesn't have to be provided by anyone because IT'S ALREADY FREE ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

I've dealt with Z-Wave for several years now

1. It's a service they offer, you'll find a lot of companies tend to charge for that
  2. So don't go Total Connect, you can have Z-Wave on a Honeywell system wit hout the remote access, it works fine locally

F protocols. Most other automation systems work most of the time but still have their little "quirks" and fits of occasionally requiring you to push t he on button again and sometimes again and then it doesn't happen for month s.

That's a joke right? There is no comparison, much more advanced than powerl ine crap.

and then I get to know it inside and out with all it's good ...... and bad features. I've been using Insteon for a number of years and it's beginning to fail to operate more and more frequently. I haven't called them (Insteon ) on it but I'm thinking it's time to try a newer technology. They just ke ep adding new components. I don't see any improvements in the transmission end of it.

There is a few quirks with Z-Wave

1. Range isn't super far at about 80 ft max, that is offset by it being a m esh network
  2. Early lamp modules don't support beaming to other Z-Wave devices
  3. When a Z-Wave mesh network is created it sticks to device routing like g lue which is a problem when a device is removed or moved, this is an issue that is fixed with the latest protocol revisions.
  4. Like wireless sensors techs tend to throw them up expecting them to work properly instead of really thinking things out
Reply to
mleuck

his home. New baby on the way so now's the time to up-sell.

you just cant use them remotely

Currently the Tuxedo does not support Total Connect at all

Technically yes however it's possible to reprogram the router to allow access to the Tuxedo's IP externally, I wouldn't recommend it tho

Seems stupid of Honeywell to make a $300+ keypad that has a WiFi/IP connection yet can't act as a central station communicator like the Symphony OR support Total Connect

Reply to
mleuck

g any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing some interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on th e way so now's the time to up-sell. zigbee and z wave are not power line pr otocols there rf transmitters and superior to x 10 and the z wave and zigbe e are a mesh system as well so you can get out as far as you like

itches and modules etc.? All the alarm companys have are thermostats and do or locks. There's got to be a lot more to the lighing control aspect of the protocol.

formatting link

nt mfg for the privlege of using their product.

You are fine as long as you don't care about remote access

Reply to
mleuck

There appears to be a company selling a Zwave controller that does not require a subscription:

formatting link

No experience with it, but I'd be curious how well it works.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.