Multi Server Brand CCTV Client Software ???

I don't know if there is enough demand, but I am wondering if there are any decent multiple brand compatible PC based client programs out there.

There are several for Android and iPhone platforms, but I have not yet seen one for PC. What got me thinking is I use Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer on m y Android all the time for testing a variety of different remote video conn ections. Digi-Merge, generic H.264, Dedicated Micros, Pelco, etc.

Is there a client software package that flexible for PC or MAC?

No, the answer is not to just use the same brand of hardware and video serv ing equipment at every site. For a variety of practical reason that just is n't always going to happen. Particularly for a customer that has facilities across multiple cites or even states or countries. For the most part I hav e been lucky enough to work with clients that were savy enough to understan d that a certain amount of consistency in quality hardware is beneficial fo r practical application and user training. Once in a while though you get i nto circumstances beyond your control were a client has two or three differ ent brands of equipment each with its own client software. Sure they can ju st load 2 or 3 or 4 different applications or if web compatible open multip le browsers windows or tabs, but they can't easily just watch a few key cam eras from multiple sites all at once on one screen like they can with just one multiple DVR compatible client program like NetVu can if you have all D M equipment.

A shipping manager might only want to watch a few cameras, but he might wan t to watch the loading docks at three or four different facilities. If they are not all the same brand they have to use their smart phone. LOL.

P.S. IP Cam Viewer is a $5 ap I believe, but the free lite version is still fully functional for upto 6 cameras for your really cheap clients.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:50:27 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

ny decent multiple brand compatible PC based client programs out there. The re are several for Android and iPhone platforms, but I have not yet seen on e for PC. What got me thinking is I use Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer on my A ndroid all the time for testing a variety of different remote video connect ions. Digi-Merge, generic H.264, Dedicated Micros, Pelco, etc. Is there a c lient software package that flexible for PC or MAC? No, the answer is not t o just use the same brand of hardware and video serving equipment at every site. For a variety of practical reason that just isn't always going to hap pen. Particularly for a customer that has facilities across multiple cites or even states or countries. For the most part I have been lucky enough to work with clients that were savy enough to understand that a certain amount of consistency in quality hardware is beneficial for practical application and user training. Once in a while though you get into circumstances beyon d your control were a client has two or three different brands of equipment each with its own client software. Sure they can just load 2 or 3 or 4 dif ferent applications or if web compatible open multiple browsers windows or tabs, but they can't easily just watch a few key cameras from multiple site s all at once on one screen like they can with just one multiple DVR compat ible client program like NetVu can if you have all DM equipment. A shipping manager might only want to watch a few cameras, but he might want to watch the loading docks at three or four different facilities. If they are not a ll the same brand they have to use their smart phone. LOL. P.S. IP Cam View er is a $5 ap I believe, but the free lite version is still fully functiona l for upto 6 cameras for your really cheap clients.

You've probably already tried this but I have to ask anyway ..... have you tried to use the ones that you have on other mfg's systems? I'm thinking t hat you may find one software that would at least allow you to watch even two different locations.

(And also you may try this:) ...... For instance, Speco has a multiple loc ation application which I had originally presumed was only for Speco produc ts but .... the multiple locataion app is differnt from their single locati on app. So now .... in view of your question .... I'm thinking that maybe the multiple location app may be a third party app that might do at least s ome of what you want to do. Have you investigated that?

Reply to
Jim

Not just multiple location. Most mfg software will do that, but multiple BRAND. My cellphone software will access over a hundred different systems, but its not written by a DVR, NVR, or IP camera manufacturer.

No I have not tried to use NetVu or Digi or others for other brands. I suppose its worth a try.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:44:50 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: You've probably already tried this but I have to ask anyway ..... have you > tried to use the ones that you have on other mfg's systems? I'm thinking > that you may find one software that would at least allow you to watch > even two different locations. > > (And also you may try this:) ...... For i nstance, Speco has a multiple > location application which I had originally presumed was only for Speco > products but .... the multiple locataion app is differnt from their single > location app. So now .... in view of your question .... I'm thinking that > maybe the multiple location app may be a third party app that might do at > least some of what you want to do. Have you investigated that? Not just multiple location. Most mfg software will d o that, but multiple BRAND. My cellphone software will access over a hundre d different systems, but its not written by a DVR, NVR, or IP camera manufa cturer. No I have not tried to use NetVu or Digi or others for other brands . I suppose its worth a try.

Again, I haven't tried this because I haven't needed it but I noticed that in the Speco App, you have to enter the address of the Speco DDNS servers y ou've set up for each location. I presume that if you have multiple locatio ns you can put each locations Address in the que and click on any one you w ant to look at. I don't know if you can look at multiple locations at the s ame time or not or..... if you can enter in the address of DDNS servers fro m other companys. If you can use other servers then you *can't* watch mult iple accounts simultaneously, could install multiple copies of the app and have them all running at the same time and switch between them ..... Maybe It might work .... Idoughknow. Another thing you might try is setting up al l the DVRs to a public server like some of these retail CCTV systems do. I think Swann is one of them. Just because you have a Pelco DVR (for instance) doesn't mean you have to use their server. It may be less secure and maybe less reliabl e but.... again it depends on your need and application. If you search arou nd you probably can find a free or very inexpensive server that you could use for all your accounts and this way you'd only need one app.

Reply to
Jim

For clarity, a DVR or NVR or even an IP camera is a server.

Reply to
Bob La Loned

decent multiple brand compatible PC based client programs out there.

for PC. What got me thinking is I use Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer on my Android all the time for testing a variety of different remote video connections. Digi-Merge, generic H.264, Dedicated Micros, Pelco, etc.

You can install Android apps. on a PC. One way is to install Chrome OS in a V/M.

You can also use a Raspberry Pi and install the port of Chrome OS made for it. Since the Raspberry Pi is so cheap, and runs on 5V it is very portable and can be installed easily in a vehicle or virtually anywhere. You can even hide it up in the ceiling, then just SSH into it (but that will degrade the picture quality significantly). It does have a HDMI port out, so it can be hooked to a TV set for easy & cheap viewing. I suppose you can use an HDMI extender and run the video signal a long way over CAT5, and use SSH on a PC to control it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Long way over Cat 5? Uk to Mexico to NY to Spain?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Tipperary

Reply to
doug

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:28:10 AM UTC-4, doug wrote: Long way over Cat 5? Uk to Mexico to NY to Spain? > >

Tipperary

Now THAT'S ..... a long way!

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.